#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:43 AM

It seems it has fallen through, 6 months has passes and the seller continued to drag me until two weeks ago, has not responded to my last email so i am calling it a lost, wasted most of the summer waiting.

He did try to convince me several times to chop up the Allis Chalmers B-10 and modify it for too big/powerful an engine or the Bolens Husky, not interested, thinking that had a lot to do with it.

Trying to find the right air cooled diesel engine in this and surrounding states is a joke into itself, i am not the only one searching and work full time and manage two properties not including side jobs and helping/working with my friends so i keep missing the good deals from those who sit around all day scanning for these to resell at astronomical prices.

Ok, my griping is over.

• JDBrian, tinbender7 and Cvans have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 07:12 AM

I hear you! It's hard to find good tractors or engines when you don't have inside knowledge of where they are. If you work and have a busy life you can't respond fast enough to get the desirable stuff that gets advertised.

• trowel and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 11:14 AM

I suggest you start telling everyone you know and some you don't what it is your looking for. Anyone who will listen potentially knows someone who knows where one might be setting.  Use the local media also.  I ended up with more small diesels than I know what to do with this way. And if you think the pickings are slim where you live try it out here in SD. 

Good luck with your search.  :thumbs:

• trowel said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I suggest you start telling everyone you know and some you don't what it is your looking for. Anyone who will listen potentially knows someone who knows where one might be setting.  Use the local media also.  I ended up with more small diesels than I know what to do with this way. And if you think the pickings are slim where you live try it out here in SD. 

Good luck with your search.  :thumbs:

Have been locally known for the past 13 years to be searching, thing is, these are highly desirable around here just for resale and nothing else, many people knew i was looking so they buy low then offer to me at $ 1,200 thinking they was about to become rich.

There was several 5 years ago in the hundred dollar ranges i should of jump on not knowing inflation was about to hit this state.

The last good deal i missed was a Ruggerini military surplus genset on Long Island NY last month, neighbor bought it.

All my diesels come from out of state, after shipping and handling or hours of driving it still was cheaper and better quality then the high priced junk people try to sell in this state.

This is kind of why i am posting this in the hopes someone out there near me would be willing to sell me a single cylinder air cooled diesel within the 6 hp to 10 hp range at sensible prices.

Edited by trowel, July 24, 2014 - 04:47 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:08 PM

All my diesels come from out of state, after shipping and handling or hours of driving it still was cheaper and better quality then the high priced junk people try to sell in this state.

Sounds like your doing everything right, just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also have made trips for engines. Quite a few times into Minnesota. The small air-cooled engines are going to be harder to find as there are fewer around. I know I've been lucky but all my engines have been under $500. I think the most important thing is being ready to jump on an engine when it pops up. In almost all cases I've been told that others were in line if I didn't want to make the purchase. 

Study up on the engines your interested in so you can make a quick educated decision. You don't want to get stuck with something you can't use. 

Best of luck to you and let us know what you come up with.

• trowel said thank you

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:24 PM

Lister Petter AC1 series 2 or 3, Lister Petter LV1, Hatz E75, Ruggerini.

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:36 PM

I have 2 of the LV1's. If you lived closer I would sell you one. Mine is in a Wheel Horse and I love it. First had it in a manual transmission but it tore that apart so now it's in a W.H. hydro. Just love the sound and tourque.

This during construction.

WH to Lister 013.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:54 PM

I remember, the first one did not last, second one came out more refined, great job on it :thumbs:

I used your photos for reference purposes.

The LV1 engines you got was used on the oil pipe line.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 09:02 PM

One I know for sure came out of a traffic control sign. The other I''m not sure about. I just ran it briefly after getting it home and then stored it inside. Should get it out and run it again sometime. 

Lister-Petters told me they do use them on the pipe lines to generate power 24-7 for the monitoring stations. 200 gals. of fuel every six months.

A word of caution, they do make many different versions of the same engine including CW and CCW rotations. Mine happen to be exactly the same which could indicate they were used for the same purpose.

Edited by Cvans, July 24, 2014 - 09:05 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 02:37 AM

The cooling shroud is how you can tell, almost all the Lister LV series sent to here and all over the UK are CW looking at the shroud, the LT series is a bit trickier with the open flywheel, the twin cylinder LV and LT are the opposite for some odd reason, same goes for the Petter A series, it was explained to me why but a number of years has passed so i no longer remember why now.

So the ones you got turned gen heads, makes sense, is it fixed throttle ?

2 years ago i came very close to having a LV2 shipped to me so i could build a prime mover genset, the seller found a rare gen head that would be perfet for the LV2 so i gave up on it, he mated the two and sold it fo a good sum.

A little something you might enjoy reading, the LV1 is the bored and stroked version of the LT1 and usually comes standard with enclosed flywheel, in other words you got the factory built stroker engine :D

I sent you a PM.

Edited by trowel, July 25, 2014 - 02:50 AM.