• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hi.  Went to an auction on the weekend.  Brought some treasure home.  Among other things a 180

Husqvarna tractor.  Owner said he had some headlight wires touch the exhaust and cause a little problem.  So he dis connected the head lights moving the wires out of the way.  Used it rest of the morning stop for lunch.  When he went out after lunch it wouldn't start.  There it sat for several years until his auction.  It has 420 hours on it.  Overall seems to be in ok shape.  I tried turning the engine by hand and it doesn't seem to turn however I can't get a good grip on it with everything in place. 

I bought it with mower deck new blades and a snow blade. all for $30.00  I figured even if engine is seized I could re power it and still make a dollar. 

$25 for both the lawn sweeps, $750 for the trailer, $15 for the parts washer.  All in all it was a good day.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20140719-00386.jpg
  • IMG-20140719-00387.jpg

Edited by Alberta Bolens, July 23, 2014 - 10:09 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 07:18 AM

Very nice. That load should keep you busy for a while.

#3 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:51 PM

Up date on the Husquavarna It a 18 hp Kohler came with mower deck and a snow blade.  The PO had electrical issues with the head lights fixed that mowed with it. (It has no head lights.) Went in for lunch came out and it wouldn't start. Bought a zero turn.  Pushed the Husquavarna under some trees.  Fast forward several years until his auction were I bought it for $30  Hour meter has 410 hours.

I tried turning it by hand but couldn't get a grip on the pulley the engine seemed stuck.  I pulled the plugs poured some diesel down the holes put the plugs back and left it for 6 weeks.

​Tonight i decide to drag it up to the garage and see what was up wit it.  I pulled the plugs tried by hand again no go.  I put socket & ratchet on the front crank bolt.  Nothing no luck.  Decided to use 1/2 drive breaker bar.  Still no luck.  Hmm. Tried it the other way I thought I was loosening the bolt.  Whoop the engine was turning.

Poured some gear oil in the plug holes turned it over by hand several times.  Found a battery and booster cables hooked up and it turns over.  Whoop Whoop.  Even had spark.  Put the plugs in squirted some gas into the carb.  Few revolutions later it was firing.    :dancingbanana:   :firejumper: It will run if I'm squirting gas down the carb.  Engine sounds good.  

Next step is drain the gas tank put fresh gas in see if I can get it to run on its own.  Then change the engine oil see how it works I guess.

The starter seems noisy.  Im  wondering if the starter wasn't stuck engaged and thats why the engine seemed seized.  I put good torque  in one direction and as soon as I tried the other direction it turned.  

With  a little TLC I think it will be a good machine. 

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-49650-0-44555200-1412913407_thumb.j
  • post-49650-0-80954400-1412913425_thumb.j

#4 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Tonight I started the tractor again priming it with a squirt can.  There is a light on the dash showing gas pump.  I put gallon or two of gas in the tank primed it with squirt can again.   After about 30 seconds its running on its own.  Driving it around the yard.

Kind of think it was out of gas when the old guy shut it off and half burnt out the starter until it stuck engaged.  End result is the same I have a nice running $35 tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• CAM00469.jpg

Edited by Alberta Bolens, October 10, 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#5 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Tried selling this unit for couple months had it on KIJIJI.  Finally a guy called asking all sorts of questions about he engine.  turned out he wanted the engine for a project.  So I sold him the engine.  Used battery and tires on different units.  The tractor only had 400 hours but not a real solid unit.  Going to see if I can sell the deck salvage the electric lift a nd few other things and to the scrap yard.for it.