• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Position of coil makes no difference sealed unit. It's not like the oil having room to slosh around more infused in the coil windings. My guess coil not grounded well to block or a plug wire with to much resistance can cause coil to heat up. 

#17 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Ok it's been a month. Haven't blown the new coil yet, however I noticed after mowing my lawn today that the coil was very hot. Too hot to touch really. This may be a hint. Don't know why it's so hot. Charging voltage is less than 14. Other parts right beside it were not that hot. So I doubt it's the under hood temp getting that high.

I don't believe your coil should be that hot!
Electricity gets converted to heat when it finds too much resistance on its way to ground.
If you have a bad coil with too much internal resistance ( think broken wires in the windings).
Or a bad path to ground somewhere.
I would suggest You dis-assemble clean and re-assemble all your ground wires.
I think i would replace your capacitor too. Just because!

Joe

#18 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Here's what I did recently. I ran an MF 10 tractor with same ignition and battery charging configuration side by side with my Case for an equal amount of time monitering charge voltage and coil temp on both. The Massey charges at approx 13.8 volts, the Case at 14.2. Both tractors running near full throttle. Both coils got fairly warm, the case somewhat warmer than the Massey. However when I shut the tractors off, it seemed the coils after heated noticeably. They got hotter. Then I checked them 20 minutes later and they were cooled down. Not sure if all this means anything or not.

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 01:53 PM

Just wondering was that voltage reading at the + on the coil ?

#20 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 09:36 PM

No. I have an electronic digital meter. I tryed to get a reading at the coil and the numbers are all over the map on both tractors. Or does that mean that's my problem. I couldn't get a stable enough reading to tell what the voltage was.
  • Alc said thank you