Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wisconsin Engine Ignition Wiring Differences?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I am getting ready to drop the TRA-10D in my D4-10 in place of the TR-10D Wisconsin. The question I have is that the old TR-10D had a coil under the Flywheel and the TRA-10D uses an external coil on the fan shroud. What wires will I need to change to make the engine run?

#2 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Chris....you explained this one to me not to long ago.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:51 PM

I am getting ready to drop the TRA-10D in my D4-10 in place of the TR-10D Wisconsin. The question I have is that the old TR-10D had a coil under the Flywheel and the TRA-10D uses an external coil on the fan shroud. What wires will I need to change to make the engine run?

OK, if I don't brain fart, I might can help.  One, the key switch for the magneto grounds when you turn the key to off, so this switch won't work with the battery powered ignition and you'll need to get a universal tractor switch to power the coil, or you could simply use a toggle switch to power the coil.  What kind of charge system....Delco starter/gen?  If so, then all that wiring should remain the same without changes, as it doesn't run anything through the key switch.  You might post some pics of the existing wiring to be sure nothing has been altered.

• sacsr said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 07:05 PM

Coil conversion, a toggle switch would have to be added unless as Daniel stated a three way switch put in which would keep from having to drill another hole in the dash.

Attached Thumbnails

• index.jpg

• sacsr said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 09:31 PM

OK, if I don't brain fart, I might can help.  One, the key switch for the magneto grounds when you turn the key to off, so this switch won't work with the battery powered ignition and you'll need to get a universal tractor switch to power the coil, or you could simply use a toggle switch to power the coil.  What kind of charge system....Delco starter/gen?  If so, then all that wiring should remain the same without changes, as it doesn't run anything through the key switch.  You might post some pics of the existing wiring to be sure nothing has been altered.

This is all I can post tonight, but can take tomorrow if you need them. Also, can I just put the on/off switch on the hot side of the starter button and then use the kill wire to power to coil?

IMG_20131111_154227_224.jpg IMG_20131112_152657_483.jpg IMG_20131112_152711_048.jpg

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:15 PM

The ignition switch is in fact terminated to ground. Can I just put the on/off switch on the hot side of the starter button and then use the kill wire to power to coil?

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:26 PM

The ignition switch is in fact terminated to ground. Can I just put the on/off switch on the hot side of the starter button and then use the kill wire to power to coil?

Yes you can, but the key will work backwards.  Your key switch makes continuity when in the usual off position, so you will have to turn your key to the right to kill it.  The problem with that is 2 fold...1: you may forget when working on it & it's not running, and run your battery dead by turning the key the usual left  2:, you won't be able to remove the key once you turn it off..

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Yes you can, but the key will work backwards.  Your key switch makes continuity when in the usual off position, so you will have to turn your key to the right to kill it.  The problem with that is 2 fold...1: you may forget when working on it & it's not running, and run your battery dead by turning the key the usual left  2:, you won't be able to remove the key once you turn it off..

I think I will change the switch out for the right one out of one of the parts D4-10s I have.

Thanks Daniel.. :thumbs: