Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:38 AM

We had a van coming in the garage the other day with a rusted out steel brake line . The line didn't look too bad except for one section but was weak enough that when the driver made a panic stop it blew . We're gong  camping this weekend with our 2001 GMC 1500 HD and 30' trailer . The brakes are so big on this truck, 8 lug wheels , you barely need to  put much pressure when empty to stop   . Anyway started it up in the driveway and pushed the pedal very hard ,, blew a  rear  brake line !   I'm so glad it happened before going instead while towing the camper  . I made a new line from the ABS to the rear rubber hose ,but I want to see if they make SS brake line kits for this model   

• MH81, hamman, trowel and 7 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:47 AM

When one line blows you can be sure the others are close to failing, best to replace all of them and not temp fate.

Very glad it was in your driveway, leaves a stain that sticks around a while, the thought is a bit scary, there is the ebrake and when used properly works fine for controled stop but during a panic stop there is no time.

• Alc, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 07:18 AM

I know GM is making a complete brake line kit for those trucks but don't know if they're any better. Have you used any of the alloy line that isn't supposed to rust or rot? Check around on the prices, they seem to vary a lot. That stuff is real easy to work with too.

• Alc, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 09:18 AM

I just did the lines in my sons' 96 Taurus. I bought the coils of line and a "bubble" flairing tool plus fittings and flex lines for a little over $150. It was a bear but its done. I tape the new line to the old line as I bend it to assure a good fit. The new corrosion resistant line is more money but supposed to be easier to bend. Take your time and be safe. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, trowel, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#5 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 09:52 AM

I know GM is making a complete brake line kit for those trucks but don't know if they're any better. Have you used any of the alloy line that isn't supposed to rust or rot? Check around on the prices, they seem to vary a lot. That stuff is real easy to work with too.

I recently replaced the lines on dads 06 gmc, went with the nickel/copper lines, I bought a bulk coil and flared all the fittings, be sure to save the ends at the ABS they are odd and most places will have to order new ones.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:12 AM

I had a rear brake line blow out on my old truck while in heavy traffic. Not fun at all.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:32 AM

I had a rear brake line blow out on my old truck while in heavy traffic. Not fun at all.

I could just imagine how hard it would take to stop my truck with my 3k , 5x10 trailer .  Or when my son was using the truck to haul scrap metal .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:46 AM

GM brake lines in the 99-07 trucks were and are a horror show! No wonder they went bankrupt....
Anyways this is the proper tool for them.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0475.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,223 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 11:06 AM

I had a bad experience with my ram. I almost hit a school bus because I blew out a brake line when I went to stop. Scared the crap out of me. It wasn't a close call of hurting anyone but it could of been worse.

I got out and explained what happened and apologized up and down to the parents and the bus driver. They all understood and the one dad let me pull my truck in his garage and helped me clamp off the line so I could get home.
  • Alc, trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Keith , that's the tool I borrowed from work to make the line . I want to see if premade ones are to replace that one and the rest if not will just make my own .

• trowel said thank you

#11 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 01:48 PM

Back in the late 90's I was driving on the LBJ Freeway in Dallas in a 1980's Buick, had my Son with me at the time. I looked over at him, he was doseing off, and as I looked back up, all I saw was 6 lanes of break lights, You guessed it, pedal went to the floor, rear break line blew. I punched the E brake to the floor and looked for a soft target, which was an old pickup truck. Jacked the bed of the truck up, and bent the Buick bumper into the grille, demolished the grille, but not the raidiator! (The Buick is built like a tank) Limped off the road with the pickup. (Musta been an Ille.... No insurance) because he said I wont't say anything if you dont'..... Limped to the nearest garage and got the line fixed, then drove home to Waco. Oh, My son took it in stride, we were wearing belts, and he learned how valuable those are. He used the car for School transport till the engine gave out.

• trowel, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#12 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 02:40 PM

LMC might make a pre bent stainless steel line kit for your truck,BUT save your money cus if there bent like the factory lines,it may be next to impossible to install them.The reason is the brake and other lines are some of the first parts put on the frame when the truck is built and you would have a heck of a time trying to snake the line in the correct places on a built truck unless your doing a ground up restoration.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut your line rusted out where it's held on with the plastic clips---thats where all the road salt collects.

• Alc, trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks