Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Use The New Plastic/metal Air Pipe?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Ohhhh, this outfit looks very sweet!  I gotta have one.  Check Northern Tool same kit lower price than the mfg.

Edited by js5020, July 23, 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 07:52 AM

My neighbor uses the plastic pipe that is designed for air in his garage, super slick, has the quick fittings.  It's very similar to the PEX plumbing pipe although designed for high pressure. I would use it if I could afford it and needed the line in the garage. 

I would never use PVC for air pressure even though it may state a high pressure rating.

I re-plumbed the house with the PEX and will never go back to soldering and copper! 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#18 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 11:30 AM

I work in a fab shop and that's what they used when they expanded the shop. Another nice thing about it is it can be re-configured and re-used.

#19 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 02:33 PM

OK, ordered on on it's way, we hope at least!  I DID go with Northern tool one, as I see it had metal and is BIGGER than the rapid air link I had before that.  BUT, it is Rapid Aire brand at Northern too and had 3 outlets, not 2. Fittings look a little more than the push in type though, but compress style and look easy I guess. Next will be to  get good reg and water filter set-up for the blasters and one for the user outlet for the  hose to. The users did say it was a little hard to unroll the tubing at first, but stayed in shape once you mount and such. They did say to make sure you use Tapering tool to get that in end of tube and they also used teflon tape and pipe dope!!  I don't do the tape thing.  We'll see what the manual suggests that comes with.

#20 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 04:01 PM

I'll be looking forward to your review.  I've been thinking seriously about it as well.  I'll wait until you check it out. :smilewink:

#21 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 02:47 PM

Well stuff came today. That pipe is Huge really! Big fittings too then.  the mount blocks  have an opening in rear for in wall feed I guess? Have plugs for that. Comes with cut-off tool and a special reamer. They state to use two wraps of teflon tape AND pipe compound on the fittings?!  Think I'll just use the compound, I hate messing with thread tape. guess I don't know how to put it on neat. Dirty hands it won't work, wrinkles as I wrap, slips as I wrap, peels off as I insert and tighten. Hate the stuff.  I'm even the guy that uses Perma-Tex #1 that dries on fittings, works great. Probly just use the pipe dope. Wish it had come with an elbow or two, but think for now shouldn't need any tight bends. Still need regulators and filters. The port is 1/2" pipe, little bigger than most items to use in it. Reducers??  I took some pix.

Attached Thumbnails

• Z Rapid Aire 2014-08-04 002.jpg
  • Z Rapid Aire 2014-08-04 003.jpg
  • Z Rapid Aire 2014-08-04 005.jpg
  • Z Rapid Aire 2014-08-04 006.jpg
  • Z Rapid Aire 2014-08-04 007.jpg

• shorty and HDWildBill have said thanks

#22 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 12:02 PM

Have you installed this?  Just wondering how it all worked out for you and if you had any problems.  I'm still thinking about it.

#23 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Not yet! Portland came up this week and I'm about "tractored out" for awhile. Will be in Sept probly before I get to it. I did go out and kinda lay-out a plan of where to put the outlets. I never do anything fast.

#24 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 04:52 PM

All the trucks on the road today are using this stuff for there air lines for their brakes!

Yep, it's hard to find a truck or trailer that isn't plumbed with it.