Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Use The New Plastic/metal Air Pipe?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 07:24 PM

My garage is set up with one big main pipe and drop can come off in a few places I put in for other sides and such. I never did use only one by big door. I want to run one to bench and another to other side to hook up Blasters and outlet there. Eastwood and others offer this kit that looks just like Pex pipe and special outlets and elbows, etc. Kinda costly, but quick to put up I think. The newest version is a two  layer plastic with flexible layer of aluminum in it. I think that might be improvement. Think Northern Tools has that one in catalog. Thinking of getting the kit and see how it works. Anyone else ever do this and how is it? I'm wondering about holding up in winter cold and not cracking or shattering then?  Would think it would be safe, or they couldn't sell it. I have not found any of this in any local hardware or farm stores. Someone said Menard's lumber had it, but forget to look when in there. Might be next garage improvement this fall.

• MH81, hamman, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 07:38 PM

I look forward to seeing any comments on this. I have looked at the kits and it appears to be easy to set up.

Geno

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I hadn't heard of it before. Sure sounds interesting. Let us know if you use it.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 04:10 AM

I hadn't heard of it before. Sure sounds interesting. Let us know if you use it.

I second that!  Putting up a rigid pipe and fittings system would be piles of work. This would be a big time saver. 

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:17 AM

I have been running 1' main and 3'4" drop schedule 80 PVC since 2005 and the only problem I have have had is last winter I put in a new wall mounted heater and the pipe about three feet above it must have gotten too much heat and the air pressure caused it to swell and develop a slow leak.  I changed the eight feet above it to 1" black pipe.

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:41 AM

Are you kidding?? That stuff is WAY safe!! All the trucks on the road today are using this stuff for there air lines for their brakes! That stuff is incredibly durable and all the new fittings with push lock features are so nice to use. We use miles of the stuff where I work for airlines and such.
  • DougT, GTTinkerer, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#7 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 08:51 AM

I was under the impression that PVC was not to be used for pressure applications because when it fails it shatters with grenade like tendancies,,, the pex will not shatter, we use it at the job with little problems.

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 09:06 AM

I was under the impression that PVC was not to be used for pressure applications because when it fails it shatters with grenade like tendancies

This is very true. At least he is using schedule 80. If the pressure switch would fail the relief valve should keep things safe. This is an excellent reason to manually operate the relief valve occasionally to keep it clear of foreign materials. 

• Alc said thank you

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Is this the stuff you guys are talking about ?

http://www.rapidairp...om/rapidair.asp

• glgrumpy said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Al, you beat me to it.  I was going to ask the same question.  This one at Northern Tool seems to have everything you need to install except the water filter. 

• Alc and glgrumpy have said thanks

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 02:28 PM

Al, that is the stuff, cept the one I saw last had aluminum layer in tube to help keep it more stiff? or whatever. Eastwood I think is where I saw that. This site says watch out for imposter brands, hmmm! This kit shown on that page is actually quite a bit cheaper than most catalogs are offering and has better looking outlets. Think I'll try this brand when I do it, thanks for the lead!

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 02:33 PM

Al, that is the stuff, cept the one I saw last had aluminum layer in tube to help keep it more stiff? or whatever. Eastwood I think is where I saw that. This site says watch out for imposter brands, hmmm! This kit shown on that page is actually quite a bit cheaper than most catalogs are offering and has better looking outlets. Think I'll try this brand when I do it, thanks for the lead!

Do you have a link to the brand you were looking at?  The description on the kit I linked to off Northern said it had an aluminium lay in it. 

#13 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I used copper pipe when I did my garage wasn't hard to cut and sweat the fitting togrther-----But this concept sounds like a good idea and I like the plug and play part,sounds easy.Kinda wish it was around when I plumbed my air.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 04:07 PM

Wild Bill, think that was in Northern in new catalog this spring.  I've been looking at this stuff for couple years, so not sure where I saw all the items. Eastwood was first overpriced place, then later Northern had that improved stuff. I'm gonna go back and look at the link above now.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#15 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:45 PM

I haven't tried it yet but have read about it. After using Shark Bites & all the quick connectors on my jobs I can see this being the way to go. I would do some research on the so called imitations. Since it has been out for few years I would think the competitors are just as good depending on the price difference. Let us know what you do GL great topic glad you brought it up.
  • HDWildBill said thank you