Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Saw Something Tonight

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 06:06 PM

that I've never seen before.  There is a crew working on our road and they are taking up the whole road so they can pave I assume.  Anyway, they are using this machine that is really cool.  It's on the order of a pan but instead of there being a scoop in the middle, it has what appears to be a giant roto tiller in its place.  The guy just drives it down the road and it takes the whole road up, pulverizes it and lays it back down.  He is followed by a compactor, grader and roller.  When they are done it just looks like you have a very nice dirt road.  I was going to take a picture but my daughter said I looked creepy enough standing out there watching.  I just wanted to see this beast work.  I hope they pave it soon because we're supposed to have some nasty storms tomorrow and it looks like half the road will wash out.  Anyone know what this machine is called?

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, Lauber1 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 07:50 PM

they use them here also, but I don't remember the name it. You should have them run though the garden with that tiller while they're out.

• tinbender7 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 07:51 PM

A reclaimer.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Was it a reclaimer or a mill? A mill has a conveyor that collects and loads out the millings, a reclaimer works just like a tiller and leaves them in place.image.jpg image.jpg
  • grnspot110, Bruce Dorsi, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 08:08 PM

We had one of those going by our house a couple years ago.  The french tourist seemed to love it.  They all waved at the crew and yelled the machine's name at the top of their lungs.  It was something like "colis de tabarnak, ST."  

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 08:43 PM

There is a machine like that, that grinds up the asphalt, heats it adds more tar to it and lays it down. Instant new road!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Was it a reclaimer or a mill? A mill has a conveyor that collects and loads out the millings, a reclaimer works just like a tiller and leaves them in place.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's a reclaimer.  Thanks CAT.  I knew what a milling machine was but I had never seen a reclaimer.  I hope they are not done with the road.  Is that the general idea?  It just looks like a dirt road now.

#8 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 09:16 PM

We had one of those going by our house a couple years ago.  The french tourist seemed to love it.  They all waved at the crew and yelled the machine's name at the top of their lungs.  It was something like "colis de tabarnak, ST."  

I had to look that up. 

I'm near QC, not in it. :)

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 10:10 PM

The millings, graded out and compacted, will be hard to wash out. Unless it's a monsoon, the road will be fine. The milled up blacktop will be the base for the new road.
  • IamSherwood, JDBrian, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 04:19 AM

The millings, graded out and compacted, will be hard to wash out. Unless it's a monsoon, the road will be fine. The milled up blacktop will be the base for the new road.

That last part is what I wanted to hear.  Thanks.

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:06 AM

It's a reclaimer.  Thanks CAT.  I knew what a milling machine was but I had never seen a reclaimer.  I hope they are not done with the road.  Is that the general idea?  It just looks like a dirt road now.

Jeff,

Up here in Northern Michigan some of the rural asphalt roads are being turned back into gravel roads when they are "worn out".  The powers that be say asphalt requires more maintenance and are not eco friendly.

• David Brown said thank you

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Jeff,

Up here in Northern Michigan some of the rural asphalt roads are being turned back into gravel roads when they are "worn out".  The powers that be say asphalt requires more maintenance and are not eco friendly.

I hope that is not the case.  Given the fact that they just paved the other end of the road, I don't really see that happening.  We have a lot of gas wells going in around here and one will be going up just up the road from me.  I'm wondering if this is a way to strengthen the roadway to handle the trucks and equipment that may be going past the house.  They tore the other end of the road up and made good on their promise to pave it.  They may be proactive on this end.  I noticed the path that is marked for this work to be done and it's the only way I could see them getting this equipment in or out.

It's like I tell folks I work with, I have three roads around my place and they are working on all of them!

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 06:12 AM

I was a town engineer for ten years. The reclaimers work well and are alot more economical than building a new road. At this point, they could put  4" or more of paving over the "new" base. I did it where we did a double chip. Sprayed asphalt and cover it with 1/2" stone then repeat with 3/8" stone. I left the double chip for a couple years to let the road settle. Then we paved with 3" of bituminous concrete and the smooth surface lasted for years longer than it normally would.

There is alot of thought that goes into paving. Unfortunately, the variables of gravel, asphalt(very inconsistent), and weather make it difficult to get good results everytime. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 23, 2014 - 06:13 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi, David Brown and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I was a town engineer for ten years. The reclaimers work well and are alot more economical than building a new road. At this point, they could put  4" or more of paving over the "new" base. I did it where we did a double chip. Sprayed asphalt and cover it with 1/2" stone then repeat with 3/8" stone. I left the double chip for a couple years to let the road settle. Then we paved with 3" of bituminous concrete and the smooth surface lasted for years longer than it normally would.

There is alot of thought that goes into paving. Unfortunately, the variables of gravel, asphalt(very inconsistent), and weather make it difficult to get good results everytime. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks Rick.  That's some very good information.  Thanks everyone for the excellent replies.  Now I just sit back and wait to see what happens.  One thing is for sure, I don't think I'll see the dirt bikes racing up and down the road for a while.

• boyscout862 said thank you