#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 02:25 PM

I spent the last two days working under a rolls Royce marine trent turbine, this morning I went in to do a final cleanup and inspection and the first thing I did was smack my head on one of those very pretty stainless pipestrent turbine 1.jpg .  my head has been hurting all day.

I built the base and the enclosure for 6 of these units that were going to the military for uss independence class shipsUSS_Independence_by_rclarkjnr.jpg .  they would not let me take pics so these are what I could get of the internet.  The idea is to use the trent turbine to power a solid state electric motor which then powers everything else.  They assemble a few of these each year, some are used as mobile power plants others I don't know what for.  What I do know is that they are pretty cool and the turbines are very impressive to see.

I get to go in and do the final welding of the enclosure to the base, the basses and enclosures are built down south somewhere and the units are assembled here in the northeast.

Attached Thumbnails

• gas turbine.jpg
  • trent turbine.jpg

Edited by petrj6, July 22, 2014 - 02:26 PM.

• Gtractor, hamman, trowel and 4 others have said thanks

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 02:29 PM

yea there a guy i know who had bought a gas company building and it has a big turbine generator in it but hes never fired it because noone knows how to run one

#3 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 02:47 PM

$15 millon,thats allmost as much as aspirin costs at the ER

Hope you head feels better soon

• KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,661 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 03:09 PM

I looked up the USS Independence to find out more. Wikipedia says it's a conventional aircraft carrier CVA 62.

#5 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Pretty darn cool!

I looked up the USS Independence to find out more. Wikipedia says it's a conventional aircraft carrier CVA 62.

I think he means Independence Class Combat Ships LCS-2 (Littoral Combat Ship), not Independence Class Carriers (WWII era).

• LilysDad said thank you

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Mrgreen has it correct, independence class combat ships.  Really cool stuff if you get into it a little bit, these ships show almost no radar signature.  Makes you wonder why anyone would want to pick a fight with the usa.

Pete

• LilysDad said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 04:59 PM

The Navy has been using turbines to power it's smaller ships for year.  The older patrol boats had J-79's in them which was the same engine the powered the F4 phantom Aircraft.

I've had quite a few of those headaches! I don't know how many times I whacked my head between the engine and rails trying to break loose a bolt.   I hope you get to feeling better.

Usually a class name comes from the Name of the first ship from that class.  Like the Nimitz class aircraft carrier was named after the USS Nimitz.  There was also an Independence class that was Named after the USS Independence aircraft carrier many moons ago. Since the CV Independence has been retired then the Navy can us it again for another ship.

• LilysDad, Sawdust and petrj6 have said thanks

#8 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:07 AM

So you're going to slip one of those out the door in your lunchbox to power the next GT project, right?
  • trowel and Bill 76 have said thanks