Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

A Wise Woman

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,652 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 10:32 AM

The wife and I have a friend who is 92 years young.  She get around pretty well but she does need help from time to time so we go over and help.  The wife helps her keep her bills straight and makes sure she gets to her doctors appointments.  She also doesn't hear very well so I found this even funnier and thought I would share this with everyone for a laugh.

Last night the wife and I were talking about the day's activity when the phone rang.  It was one of those calls, I think most all of us have gotten, where the person on the other end can just barely speak English and states he is from window's.  Some times I will play around with them and exasperated them as far as I can before they hang up.

Well the other day our friend got one of these calls.  I was really surprised that she could understand them as well as she did.  Well the guy starts off that he is from windows and that he is calling to fix her windows.  Our friend comes back with there is nothing wrong with my windows they all work fine!  The guy then says no your windows is broken (Probably thinking he has a fish on the line)  She then tells him no I do not have any broken windows.  So this goes on for a few minutes and she finially tells him to hold on a minute.  She went around her house (small house) and checked every window and came back and told him "No I just check every window and not one is broken! You don't know what you are talking about".  The guy finally realizes when she is talking about and tells her no the windows on your computer.  She reply's "What's that?  I don't have a computer!" 

She strung this guy along for a good 20 to 30 minutes.  Better then I have ever done! 

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, daytime dave and 13 others have said thanks

#2 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 11:33 AM

I wish that I had thought of this. I have gotten two phone calls like this and I just hangup. Twenty minutes that he can't bother someone else.

• HDWildBill and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 12:36 PM

They are annoying.  I'm glad she got them good.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 01:25 PM

I love it. I need to remember that one.
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,163 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 01:48 PM

You have to watch out for the older folks, and I mean that in both sense's. It is great you are helping her out the way you are but you need to keep a sharp eye on her as she already knows all the tricks in the book and can very easily teach you a few new ones :thumbs:.

• HDWildBill, superaben and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 02:32 PM

Ha--the old gal got him  good,I will have to remember that one next time one of them scum bags calls me.

• HDWildBill said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,746 Thanks
  • 2,723 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 06:55 PM

I wonder what one of those jobs pay that anyone would could lower there self esteem to have it ?

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,142 Thanks
  • 4,558 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:52 AM

I wonder what one of those jobs pay that anyone would could lower there self esteem to have it ?

Lots of folks who need to eat and live have to 'lower their standards.  Call centers are getting to be one of the larger employers of young folks in our area.  The kid is trying to make a buck is all.  Unemployment isn't squat for these kids who have student loans and can't find jobs anywhere else.

As far as any phone calls I get I always ask them where they are and what the weather is there..  I then throw them off their game with every dyslexic slant I can until either they realize I'm a 'no-gainer' and hang up.  I hated the ones who always seemed to call at suppertime.  I'd ask them what time they ate supper.  Then told them let me call you while you were trying to eat!

Then again there's the old standby:

Hang on-  I got something I wanna tell ya...