• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cc racing. OFFLINE  

cc racing.
  • Member No: 58862
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:49 PM

hellow everybody,,,, i have a wheel horse 416-8 with a p2166-I/109760 16hp onan engine,,, It starts and runs fine till it gets hot, then it,s like you turn the key off..... let it sit a while and it will do the same all over again,,, it didn,t have the fuel in the see thu- gas filter like i thought it needed so i changed the fuel pump,,,,, still hardly no fuel got to the filter.... i have checked and blowed threw all the fuel line..... so i switched to an electric pump and it really pepped the motor up,,,,, then it ran perfect till it got hot and same old thing happened..... im now thinking coil,,,, condenser...oil switch,,, vapor locking.... is there anybody that can shed a little light on this..or is ther something im missing.... thanks for any help..... chuck,,,,,,, cc racing.........

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 09:37 PM

I suspect the coil.  What kind of spark do you get when it gets hot and dies?  If it gives a good blue spark, then I would squirt a little gas in the carburetor to see if it would fire or run briefly.  If it will run when you squirt gas in the carb, then you have a fuel problem.

• cc racing. said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 06:24 AM

As said above, go back to basics when troubleshooting a problem like this. Read the plugs when it starts acting up to see if you are getting fuel and the quality of the spark. I'm guessing a coil problem. Check the points for gap and condition as well. A bad connection somewhere in the ignition circuit could also be the culprit, so give the wiring harness a good inspection looking for bad connections, burnt wires, overheating connections etc.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 06:38 AM

P series Onans do not have points. Have you checked for spark when it gets hot? Are you sure there is no clogging of the cooling fins behind the tins causing over heating? The ignition module may be going bad. I'll send you a PM!

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Kenny is right, P's are point-less ignitions.  I lean to the coil, but many times it's the module.  

• KennyP and cc racing. have said thanks

#6 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 11:47 AM

I'd guess coil first.  If ignition is not the problem, don't forget to check the fuel cap to make sure the vent is not clogged up.  If it is, the engine will run until a vacuum is created in the fuel tank and fuel will not flow.

• KennyP and cc racing. have said thanks

#7 cc racing. OFFLINE  

cc racing.
  • Member No: 58862
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 12:34 PM

thanks  for info everybody..... today is my first day of vacation and i will have time to work on it.... i checked the fuel cap with the other fuel pumps... if cap was tight and the sun was on tractor it would fill up the filter... but now with electric  pump installed it fills up regardless... thanks for the points info ...  could a falty key switch act up in this manner also? thanks again.........cc.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 04:18 PM

thanks  for info everybody..... today is my first day of vacation and i will have time to work on it.... i checked the fuel cap with the other fuel pumps... if cap was tight and the sun was on tractor it would fill up the filter... but now with electric  pump installed it fills up regardless... thanks for the points info ...  could a falty key switch act up in this manner also? thanks again.........cc.

Yes, anything in the ignition circuit could cause a loss of spark.