4 replies to this topic

#1 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'm not sure if something similar has been posted before. After buying three pairs of tires and rims, I decided to devise a method that would make it easier and quicker for mounting my new skins. I used a piece of 1/2" plywood, threaded rod, T-nuts for the bottom, and coupler nuts for squeezing to make a jig.  One of those nylon prybars for interior panels came in handy to move the tube while tightening the coupler nuts. Using this I got a tire mounted in less than ten minutes, taking my time to make sure that I wasn't pinching the tube.

John

WP_20140721_0011.jpg WP_20140721_0021.jpg WP_20140721_0031.jpg WP_20140721_0041.jpg WP_20140721_0051.jpg

• Gtractor, MH81, EricFromPa and 4 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Simple and effective. Thanks.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 07:54 PM

I hate both Bolens and Gravely split rims since they have cost me more tubes than I care to remember.  Now that I have that off my chest, I also love Gravely split rims since they are very easy to repaint and you don't have to have a tire machine to do it.

One trick I was taught was to inflate the tube just a little bit.  It will hold itself out of the way if you do that.

Ben W.

• Nato77 said thank you

#4 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 09:28 PM

I hate both Bolens and Gravely split rims since they have cost me more tubes than I care to remember.  Now that I have that off my chest, I also love Gravely split rims since they are very easy to repaint and you don't have to have a tire machine to do it.

One trick I was taught was to inflate the tube just a little bit.  It will hold itself out of the way if you do that.

Ben W.

Ben, that's the same trick I learned. Just a little air to give the tube shape, and apply talcum powder on the tube and inside the tire. I slather Ruglyde on the rims with a 1" foam brush. Then I start stacking them together. I try to get the rims about 1/2" apart with the coupler nuts and then I apply some air to start the tire onto the rim. Then I unscrew the valve to relax the tube. At this point the tube is usually away from the rims and I can bolt them together. Re-insert the valve, apply air to fully seat the tire, and adjust the pressure. On to the next one!

• superaben said thank you

#5 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 11:24 AM

I mounted the pair of 16X6.50-8 tires today. Because of the wider cross-section, my method was a bit different.

The larger tire has a more compliant sidewall so after applying the Ruglyde, I pressed the tire into the half rims without the tube using my jig so they lined up. For the lower rim, I used a small block of wood to press it after I couldn't move it by hand. The top rim ended up being pounded with a rubber mallet until the tube stem hole was clear. I then pulled it off the jig, a liberal application of talcum powder inside the tire and on the tube (pulled the valve out.) Carefully put the tire and rims back on the jug and tightening down the coupler nuts until they touch the top rim. Put the valve back in and apply about 10 psi of air. Let the tube straighten itself, and then pull the valve out again. Tighten the coupler nuts making certain that the tube is not being pinched. Repeat this one or two times to help seat the tires. Once you have the rim bolts together, inflate the tire to its maximum pressure (mine are 28 psi.) Re-check the rim bolts and remove the coupler bolts. Deflate to the working pressure and mount them!

Also, here is a comparison shot of the 4.80 - 8 with 5 1/4" dual adapter and the 16X6.50-8 with the 6" dual adapter.

WP_20140722_0031.jpg WP_20140722_0041.jpg WP_20140722_0071.jpg WP_20140722_0081.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor, July 22, 2014 - 11:30 AM.