I bought a small forklift from Josh ( AKA: talntedmrgreen ), to use in my new garage.
According to the engine serial number, this is a 1956 Kalamazoo Xpediter Model-301. This was built by the Kalamazoo Manufacturing Co. in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
This forklift is about 81 inch long, 33 inch wide and 55 inch tall and weighs 1,022 pounds.
Here is an old advertisement for the forklift.
The right front tire was flat and the hub and wheel was removed so a regular spindle mount tire could be put on it so it could be moved around.
Somewhere along the line, the outer bearing got misplaced so after we got it loaded, we removed the temporary wheel and set it down on some blocks of wood.
Here are a couple of shots of it up on the truck.
Before I can get it off the truck, I need to fix the flat tire and get it back on the front.
The belts for the hydro drive and the hydraulic pump were slipping really bad when we loaded it so they need replacing also.
Saturday I took the wheel apart and found out that the tube just needed a patch.
The bearing and belts are available at my local auto parts store but they won't be in until Monday.
While I'm waiting for those parts, I stuck a battery in.
I don't think these little garden tractor batteries were even being made back in the mid 50's so the battery box is made for a full size car battery.
I put a piece of 2x6 in the bottom of the battery box so this battery didn't set down in so far.
Even with it setting up higher, it still looks sort of lost in the box so I made up a wood cover for it to make it look a little better.
It's Monday morning and the parts are in and the wheel hub is back on the front.
Then the wheel is bolted back on.
Last thing to do was get the belts back on.
You may have noticed the open exhaust pipe sticking out above the belts.
The old muffler was located back along side the operator and was covered with this ugly shield.
The muffler was all rusted out along the bottom so I cut it off.
I'm going to put a new muffler on and point it away from the operator.
That brings us to unloading time. .....
There is an area down the side road where I can back the truck into to make it easier to unload.
Careful now, I don't want to run this off the ramps and tip it over because I don't have anything here that can pick it back up.
Okay, that was easy. And off we go across the yard.
Oh Oh, something is wrong ! She starting to sputter and loosing power.
I see what's wrong. The high speed screw is turning in and out from the engine vibration.
Turns out the little "O-ring" that seals around the screw is completely gone.
Run to the hardware for a new O-ring and now it runs fine.
Here she is finally up by the garage.
The lift boom tilts back and forward with no problem but the forks are stuck in the up position.
The lift cylinder is suppose to have power up and power down so I'm going to have to figure out why they won't come down.
These were built for a specific purpose so the forks are rather short and they don't lift very high.
Somewhere in my stuff packed away at my son's place, I have a fork lift boom that was mounted on a three point hitch on the back of a 8N Ford tractor
I'm going to put that boom and forks on this forklift so it will have longer forks and lift higher.
Edited by jdcrawler, July 21, 2014 - 03:39 PM.