Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

On My Way Home With A 64' Simplicity Landlord.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:58 PM

The tractor came from a 16 year old kid. He bought it from a guy who does scrap metal runs. The kid had two other flat black painted tractors with stacks that he and his brother beat the tar out of. He told me the Simplicity didn't have spark and he didn't want to mess with it. When I got there to pick it up, the crank wouldn't turn, but it wasn't stopping me from making the trade. The kid didn't know about the original owner history, so that's a bit of a drag. The kid just wanted a good running solid tractor to use, so he now owns my 71 Suburban 12 with a plow and snow blower.
  • Talntedmrgreen and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 09:50 PM

I have to agree with you Tallentedmrgreen. Here is a pic of a not so cared for 64' Landlord, compared to this one.

The weather can certainly do a number on them...as can abnormal use or a lack of maintenance. For a collector to find something of this age that is meant to have been used and used hard, in that kind of shape, is a stroke of pure luck! Great to see it in good hands.
  • classic said thank you

#18 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 06:16 AM

Very nice find! Good to see a well preserved machine... enjoy!

• Talntedmrgreen and classic have said thanks

#19 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 06:24 AM

The tractor came from a 16 year old kid. He bought it from a guy who does scrap metal runs. The kid had two other flat black painted tractors with stacks that he and his brother beat the tar out of. He told me the Simplicity didn't have spark and he didn't want to mess with it. When I got there to pick it up, the crank wouldn't turn, but it wasn't stopping me from making the trade. The kid didn't know about the original owner history, so that's a bit of a drag. The kid just wanted a good running solid tractor to use, so he now owns my 71 Suburban 12 with a plow and snow blower.

Still a nice story...and you both won!
  • classic said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 06:41 AM

Beautiful survivor. Thanks for sharing.
  • classic said thank you

#21 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Thankfully the engine is repairable. It turns over,but the rod is real tight on the crank. I'll mic the crank after cleaning it and see what I come up with and go from there. This looks like it will be a simple fix!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140722_102303-1.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#22 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 01:34 PM

I found why the crank was so hard to turn and it's good news! The rod and piston came out fine and the rod journal, rod, and piston look fine. The crank was nearly seized in the aluminum main bearing cover behind the flywheel. I have another main bearing cover, and I should be able to clean the galled aluminum from the main bearing journal on the crankshaft. It should be up and running in no time! Here's a pic of the damage.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140722_142724-1.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 01:58 PM

Did you happen to notice how the back plate oil hole were alined to the block, if they're not right the crank won't get the proper amount of oil. A little muriatic acid will clean that crank right up, then I always use some crocus cloth to polish it up just to make sure.

• classic said thank you

#24 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 02:16 PM

The 4 mounting holes in the bearing plate are offset and the plate can only go on one way, so it was installed correctly. The other bearing plate and the connecting rod show no signs of galling at all and look great. I'll mic the crank and rod to see where I'm at.I have an NOS std.piston assembly I'll be installing while it's apart, and if the crank is still within std. specs, I'll order a new std. rod if this rod is worn. Thanks for the tip on cleaning the journal!

Edited by classic, July 22, 2014 - 10:04 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#25 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 07:15 PM

It's hot and humid out and I helped my brother pour a cap on a chimney today. It took 16 bags of Sackrete, mixed in a wheel barrow by hand, then carried up a ladder onto a scaffold, then handed up to my brother. Back down the ladder, mix another bag, repeat, repeat. We did this between 10:30 and 1:00 and I was soaked from my head to my knees from sweat. If anyone should be complaining about anything it should be me, HA! You guys should work on getting along since life is way to short. Yea, some people may be a bit hard to see eye to eye with, but it's just how it is. Hope you guys can work it out. I've learned to have a lot of patients with people and machinery. If someone calls me a dirty rotten no good son of a @×#&, I just respond with "and don't you forget it!" Actually that doesn't happen, but that's what I'd say.
Now back to the program...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140721_152249-1.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#26 oaktown1987 OFFLINE  

oaktown1987
  • Member No: 54613
  • 11 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 12:44 AM

Nice find

Oaktown
  • classic said thank you

#27 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Beautifull score!  I am the one that ended up with Mrgreen's Landlord.  She is doing beautifully mowing my yard, now sports more correct looking narrow front stud style tires and will be on display at our dealership on Friday this week for the day.  Cant wait to see the good news that the 23d is alive again.  Mike

• classic said thank you

#28 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 01:48 AM

Thanks mike, these tractors have become my favorite. Glad to hear you got the tractor from Mrgreen. I've been mowing with my Allis B10 and having a good time with it. I'm just waiting on an NOS connecting rod to show up for the 23D so I can put it together. I'm using a the crankshaft and bearing plates from another 64' landlord I picked up recently. The original crankshaft was just below reject specs so it will need to be turned down before use. The tractor was also missing the left side cover, but I found one in original paint and installed it. The lower grill was missing a lot of the paint, so I repainted it after fixing a few dents in it. I'm on the hunt for a good seat since mine is in rough shape. I'm removing the engine tomorrow to get it ready for the rebuild sometime next week.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140730_151134.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#29 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I am on the hunt for a snowthrower for mine right now. The place I work for plows snow in the winter and they would like me to do sidewalks ect, a thrower will be easier than the blade.  Then over the winter I hope to find a tiller and the tiller pto unit before next springs garden season arrives.  Like you I am fond of this size and style of tractor.  And these have to be the cheapest and easiest of the older GT's to equip with attachments.   Mike

• Talntedmrgreen and classic have said thanks