Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Pto Clutch Removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 11:59 AM

If someone wants to pin this, it may be helpful to many.

Since my brother showed me how he removes a PK clutch flywheel, I won't do it any other way.  This method will inflict no damage tot he block or the flywheel and it's pretty quick.  I use 4 wood splitting wedges, two on each side of the shaft, positioned as you see in the pictures.  Once they are set up, you simply hit each of the top two wedges alternately.  As you do, the flywheel begins to move.  If the wedge hits bottom before the flywheel is loose enough to take off by hand, simply put a shim or block of some sort between the engine block and the upward pointing wedge and do it all over again.  I just took these pics yesterday.  I had the flywheel off in about 5 minutes.  Of course you want to make sure you have all set screws out (there may be two in each hole) and you may want to soak in PB Blaster for a while if the pulley is really stuck.  I did not soak this one but it wasn't on there very long (couple years).

Putting the top wedge on

All 4 wedges in place and ready to go.

Edited by David Brown, July 21, 2014 - 12:01 PM.

• Gtractor, Username, countryboy88 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 955 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 04:59 PM

That's a great idea. I've been doing about the same thing with a pickle fork/ball joint remover. This looks like it would work even better.