• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:03 AM

Back in April I was out planting lilacs on top of the ditch bank along the road. A older rusted up Grand Am went by then Bang a tire blew. A young woman gets out looks at the tire and starts talking to her self shutting up as i walk up and ask if she needs help.

I put that skinny little spare on for her and tell her she really does need some tires as the cord was showing on the one I took off and the other one on that side looked slicks as a door knob. She said she new and was trying to get ahead enough to get some but her son had gotten sick and the doctor bills were killing her. Early June she again has a blow out down the road a ways and was still running that skinny spare I had put on for her. She walked to our house and asked to use the phone to call dial a ride. She starts crying as she hangs the phone up saying they will come in a hour but she will probably loose her managers job at Mickey Dees for being late.

Kare tells her to hush up as I will take her to work and get her car off the road, while she calls to cancel the dial a ride. On the way to her job I tell her that I never let the tire shops charge me to dispose a tire I bring every one home. Never Know when some one needs a trailer tire or a cheap spare. I also have a shooting back stop I made from pick up tires.

I tell her I think I have some used tires off my sons Saturn from back in 1998 in the pole barn. If she doesn't mind I will put them on for her for nothing if they fit. She says OK. When I get home I go limp the car into my yard and take the bad tire off and see the old Saturn tires are a exact fit.

So she got the tires all four with about 25% tread. I tell her that I had got those tired taken off because they didn't work for squat in the winter so save for some for winter. I figured that would be the last of seeing her. Nope she made a small cake and dropped it off about a week later with a home made thank you note. Then Saturday a envelope to Al & Kare with the proper address is in the mail box. Open it up and there is another home made thank you note and a check for $40.00.

Of course We are not going to keep that Money just for her taking 4 tires off my hands and freeing up space. Today Kare and I are going to take the check back to her and read her the riot act about getting some good winter tires.

:D   Al

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 26 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Good job AL. Glad to see there are still people who care enough to genuinly help out of the goodness of their heart. Also glad to see people who receive help want to thank those who help them. By giving her the tires and a little of your time you have planted a seed that hopefully grow in the heart and mind of someone who will pay it forward down the line. You and the wife are good people and we need more like you.  Thanks for sharing.                                               Roger.

• olcowhand, Lmiller3358, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Good for you Al.  :thumbs:  Tell her to take the money and use if for someone else in need or like you said put some winter tires on her car.

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Like hamman said " pay it forward " Good job Al, and to your wife also !!!

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 10:02 AM

It's good to see people still help out other people.

Some of us forget where we started at and take our personal situations for granted
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,675 Thanks
  • 7,689 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Good for you! That's the way we do it!!! :thumbs:

#7 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 01:40 PM

:thumbs:  Well done Sir, WELL DONE indeed!

We need more people in this world to do for others like you did for that young lady.

When someone tries to pay me for giving them a bit of help, I always tell them they can pay me back by helping someone else when they have the chance to do so.

#8 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 03:09 PM

"Chain of Love" by Clay Walker. Helping someone that really needs helping but doesn't beg for it is always a good feeling.

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 04:25 PM

it always amazed me how people are, not everyone would do that and you are great people for helping another person out like that.  I have been helped in exactly the same way before.  then you will hit just the exact opposite, people will flip you of and be rude just to be rude.  Good deeds are always returned in the long run,

Pete

#10 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,874 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 04:38 PM

DITTO TO ALL OF THE ABOVE !!!

• hamman and LilysDad have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Thank to you both for bring good neighbors and damn decent human beings.
  • hamman said thank you

#12 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 04:43 AM

When I changed the first tire I thought of my own daughter living so far away in Wisconsin. I made her jack the car up and remove the tire then put it back on before I would let her drive alone. I also fully under stand that women dress up nicer for work and getting down to change a tire on a dirt road could mess up that nice look.

When I told her I had these old tires I was sure would fit I would put on her car I had been thinking of my daughter again also.

12-21-13 daughter finds out she has breast cancer. Treatment was fast and aggressive since her doctor(s) are a part of the fames Mayo clinic of Minnesota.

12-27-13   Nice thing about the Mayo Clinic is when Deana is told there isn't any way she can get a appointment for some thing, She calls the surgeons office and tells then some thing they are going to do has to be canceled until after the other appointment. Isn't long and the phone rings  and she has just a little time to get there for the test they couldn't get her in for a month to do.

12-28-13 Her work told her she can have all the time she needs off. She just started working there about July too. Her boss is a runner too and was the one who offered her the job so I guess.

3-7-14 She got some good news last week from the owner of the company she works for. He got it set up so she can work from home on her lap top. that way she can work and if she needs to puke she has a pail of some thing there to catch it. He also gave her a 1000.00 sick fund he called it.

3-7-14 women at work had heard her tell some one she had days she was so sick she didn't feel like cooking for her self or the kids. So they have set up a schedule and every day after her chemo treatment for 2 weeks a women makes a complete meal that Deana can heat up every day for 14 days and they deliver.

3-7-14  She also called to try and set up some thing to pay the bills that the insurance isn't covering. .The Mayo clinic is picking up the rest of the cost. They told her she only has to worry about the anastigest bill 2,100, they wanted 10% per month but decided she really only needed to pay 50.00 a month. She also got notice that the disability thing her company has was approved and she will receive some money all the way back to December 20th we think.

3-11-14  One of the ladies delivered a meal and some gift cards to Jimmy Johns and one of the better known pizza joints. Seems the guys want to get on the help wagon also and don't cook them selves.

4-28-14  last chemo a week ago (21st). 176,000 dollars after discovering the 6 CM tumor it is still 3.4 CM. what a shock.

5-1-14 Boss again gives her $1000. from the so called sick fund.

So after think about all the above who did so much for my daughter 4 3/4 wore out tires are nothing.

Went in yesterday to return the check to her. She is not there but the friend who brought her to pick her car up was. Said she had gotten a new job at a hospice clinic near by. Got there and she does paper work and filing stuff, got a nice pay raise so was able to send us the $40.00. Had sold that car and had a lease on a new one she hoped to buy when the lease was up. She did after much discussion take the check back.

All's well that ends well.

Edited by alleyyooper, July 22, 2014 - 04:44 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#13 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Today is my daughters last round of radiation. She how ever is highly depressed, has to wear a compression sleeve on one arm because of the radiation along with a gauntlet.  A daily pill she has been told she will be taking for at least 15 years cost her $16.00 a month in copay.

She has grown her hair back to where she doesn't wear a hat to stop all the questions she used to get before she started wearing them.

All the girls at her work still ask if there is any thing they can do to help her out. I am amazed at all the support she has gotten from people she just started working with a mear year ago.

Bless them all each and every one.

Edited by alleyyooper, July 30, 2014 - 02:01 PM.

• MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:25 PM

Glad things have improved for her. 2 of my 5 sisters are undergoing chemo and have had surgery for cancer.  Both are doing better as well.  So glad your daughter has support!

#15 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,510 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Love is as love does, call it God, karma or luck, I say JC does good work!
I tell my wife when we feed a stray kitten or give a couple bucks to someone on the street, you never know who it might be. I say don't fail the test, you my friend, have passed with flying colors!