#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 01:20 PM

For the last few weeks. My uncle passed away about 2 years ago from lung cancer. He always was working in his wood shop making a auction item for our family reunion. He has made several (maybe 15) rocking chairs of various sizes. He used all kinds of woods and liked to mix and match when he made a chair. When he was in the hospital he ased me if I would take the rocker he was starting and finish it for the 2013 reunion. Well when my finger was injured and then reinjured by the Hospital in their improper care of it I wasn't able to finish it last year. So I have been getting it ready to finish for this August.
I haven't been doing much witht the GTs other than mowing and trimming the yard and caring for the garden. I check in here often and will as soon as I get the chair to my daughters fiance to finish with stain and varnish, get back to finishing the deck for my Homelite.
Here are some pics of the shop of my neighbor and friend we are working in. I have my wife, son and friend to thank for helping on this project. It is all ready to glue and screw when I get back across the street this afternoon. We startd with the seat in it's rough to near ready to finish state two rockers for the bottom and two arms. We have come a long way to this point. Figuring angles and such is not my strong point but we have been able to muddle through it. Thanks for looking. Roger.
DSCF7714.JPG
DSCF7711.JPG Jig we had to make to drill the 85* angle holes for the back uprights. and the dowels for the back.
DSCF7717.JPG DSCF7719.JPG Some pictures of the shop DSCF7704.JPG DSCF7705.JPG DSCF7707.JPG
  • grnspot110, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 12 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 02:00 PM

The chair looks pretty good.  Sorry to hear about your Uncle.  Are you going to carry on the tradition?

• olcowhand, hamman, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 02:18 PM

That chair looks fantastic! Your uncle would be happy that you are carrying on the tradition.
  • hamman said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,651 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 03:13 PM

Very nice!!! That carving on the back really makes it. The only thing I would argue with is the notion that that is a wood shop. There is not one speck of saw dust in that last photo.

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Very nice!!! That carving on the back really makes it. The only thing I would argue with is the notion that that is a wood shop. There is not one speck of saw dust in that last photo.

Amen!  You can't have a machine shop without metal shavings, either!

Ben W.

• hamman said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Nice story and the chair looks great! That's a big wood shop. It looks to me like it hasn't been in use for long. Not a lot of scraps and dust and half done projects. Either that or the owner is one neat worker. 

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 05:17 PM

I am going to make a chair every other year ! I like to make tables and planters, bird, squirrel etc feeders. Some look forward to my feeders. My nexy project is an endtable made out of hardwood old (weathered) pallets. My friend keeps his shop very clean. He is in his 80s and is the one who cleans it. He wou'nt let me clean it says it gives him something to do. That is the first time I've ever used a small router type machine to rout out anything. On my next one I will use a small laminate router with a carbide V tool to do it. That is how the professionals do it. Thanks for the kind words. It has been a labor of love, but not without it's stress. Just came home to eat and back to finish gluing together tonight so I can get it to the Futre son in law.                                                                           Roger.

• trowel and HDWildBill have said thanks

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Well it's all glued and screwed together. Letting the glue dry overnight and going to finish sand it tomorrow. It will go to get stain an urathaine finish in a few days. Lots of work but it is for a good guy.     Tired tonight.                                                                                               Roger.

• trowel said thank you

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 09:03 PM

Came out great Roger ! going to look fabulous when stained.

• hamman said thank you

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 02:59 PM

Well here it is in the livingroom all done ready to go get finished. Only one problem after assembly. One of the dowels in the back warped. It has been severly humid and hot here and I believe it warped just prior to putting it together. I will post a picture when the future soninlaw gets it finished for the reunion.    Roger

DSCF7731.JPG DSCF7726.JPG

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 03:51 PM

A slight "flaw" only shows it is hand built.

Beautiful work. Want to build me 4 of them lol. I'd love some hand built rockers for my porch
  • hamman said thank you

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 06:23 PM

As I said my uncle had started this one. In the future I plan on making some adjustments here and there. A lot of our family is on the  " Stocky " side, so I am going to make the seat a little wider and instead of just gluing the seat together and nailing them each I plan on using oak dowels and drilling the boards as I make them then making sure I line them up when gluing and installing. I will also invest in a glue roller to evenly glue the parts of the seat and the upper back together. I have already started getting some old oak pallets stockpiled. The first one will be done with reclaimed wood fro these pallets. Should have my oun wood shop set up this winter and have all my projects done as far as the GTs.. I think I may be a little ambitious ,but with my daughter getting married this fall I really want to give her a rocker for her birthday.  Pictures of this rockes as soon as the SIL finishes it..                                                                     Roger.

#13 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Your uncle chose well...
  • hamman said thank you