22 replies to this topic

#16 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 09:37 PM

I got my master rebuild kit today and everything looks good.  Measured the new piston ring end gap and one compression ring measured about 0.016" and the other measured about 0.008".  I'll double check again to be sure I'm measuring right before I do any filing.  Is the Kohler k341 Service Manual the best guide to use for re-assembly?

#17 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 07:57 PM

The engine is all back together now and it runs with no smoke.  The only problem I had with the rebuild kit was that I had to file about 0.010 inches off the end of the intake valve stem to get the required tappet clearance and about .006" off one of the compression ring ends to get the proper piston ring end gap.  The rebuild kit included four crank bearing plate gaskets.  One gasket measured about 0.030" thick and the other three each measured about 0.009" thick.   I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I added gaskets till I was able to get the correct crankshaft end play.  Ended up using the 0.030" thick gasket and two of the 0.009" thick gaskets resulting in a crank shaft end play of 0.005".  Put 10W30 brake in oil in it and have run it for about 15 minutes with no load.  Will re-torque the head bolts before I run it any more.

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 08:33 PM

The Kohler Service manual is indispensable. Get it free here;http://gardentractor...service-manual/

• dthomp17 said thank you

#19 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:40 PM

The Kohler Service manual is indispensable. Get it free here;http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Thanks, I have a copy of the manual and I relied heavily on it during the re-build.

#20 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:50 PM

The Service Manual does say to use regular 30 weight oil on an engine rebuild.  I thought I read somewhere to use 5W30 or 10W30 on a fresh rebuild.  Anyway, I'll change it out before I run it again.

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:57 PM

The Kohler manual is indispensable. I have always used 10w-30 SAE for the initial oil. Pretty much all we run anyway. I bought a rebuild kit from Ben, one of our site sponsors for a 12hp Kohler. Everything fit great, only thing I had issues with was when I put the valve cover / breather assembly back together there is a small air hole that should be at the top and I had it at the bottom. It ended up smoking like we never rebuilt it. Took a little bit going back over everything till I realized my mistake. 

• dthomp17 and trowel have said thanks

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 05:35 AM

The Service Manual does say to use regular 30 weight oil on an engine rebuild.  I thought I read somewhere to use 5W30 or 10W30 on a fresh rebuild.  Anyway, I'll change it out before I run it again.

After break change it and check carefully for metal just to be sure, drive around for at least an hour to get it good and hot, begin the seating in of everything, then attach the mow deck and do a little light mowing for a few hours, basically just put a second load on the engine watching for oil frothing and a noisy valve, it should begin to quiet down a bit then change oil one more time and your good to go for a long time !

Good job on the rebuild :thumbs:

Edited by trowel, August 03, 2014 - 05:36 AM.

• dthomp17 and LilysDad have said thanks

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:13 AM

Don't forget to retorque the head after initial use.

• dthomp17, trowel and Trav1s have said thanks