Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

More Lt155 Probs- Should It Be This Hard To Turn?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• Member No: 6205
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hi guys

So an update, I replaced the starter because the gear wasn't popping up to engage the engine.. Now that is fine, it pops up to engage, but it doesn't get beyond the buzzing sound from before.  It seems that the starter cant turn "that big fan wheel with the fins on it" on top of the engine.. Even by hand is REALLY hard to turn and occasionally gets hung up.  Should it be like this?  Should I continue to disassemble the top of the engine?  Is there a ball bearing that failed or something?

Let me know plz as I am at a loss.

Jakub

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 10:49 AM

I would be sure everything is disengaged from the engine first such as mower or whatever else the engine is powering before I did any engine disassembly.  I don't know what an LT155  is so I don't know what it would be powering.  Sounds like the engine may be partially seized or it could be something as simple as cord wrapped around a mower blade making it hard to turn.

#3 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 10:52 AM

No the engine shouldn't be that hard to turn.  It should be relatively easy until you get to the compression stroke and then it will be a little harder.

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 10:56 AM

Howdy, that big fan wheel with the fins on it is called your flywheel.

it should be pretty easy to turn the engine over by hand.

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 11:26 AM

As stated, it will be easy then when you build compression, it gets super hard. 

You can pull out the spark plug to relieve compression then try to use starter to see if it can actually turn the motor over. 

It's possible the battery is weak and doesn't have enough juice to spin motor.

Make sure the mower engagement switch is pulled out, it's an electric clutch so it will only engage if button is pushed in

Guys, the 155 has a Kohler Vertical 15 HP, I work on a 133 that is same tractor, just 2 less Hp. 

#6 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Great.. Thanks guys. 

So the battery is brand new, works fine.. The starter works fine and was also replaced.  So the problem is with the flywheel turning.  The mower blades are definitely disengaged.  And I disengaged the spark plug.

However, the flywheel is still really hard to turn by hand.  In some positions, it takes 2 hands to turn it.  Should I unscrew the bolt on top of the fan assembly to see what it looks like inside and why it is so difficult to turn ?  Not sure how to proceed or troubleshoot in this situation.

#7 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 02:49 PM

(edit- post removed .. I thought it could be the stator but that wouldnt make sense)

Edited by drtechno, July 19, 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 08:03 PM

You need to make sure the transmission drive belt is loose on the pulley under the engine. If it is not disengaging it will make it harder to turn.  If that is free then you may have damage in the engine. 

#9 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Ok Thanks Brian.. Let me check it.

#10 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 03:43 PM

The transmission belt is loose underneath the engine.

Hmm.. So is there anything I can service or check by removing the flywheel or is this definitely an engine that seized?

#11 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Sure seems like you want to pull the flywheel.   :poke:

Try pulling the spark plugs first and see if it is still difficult to rotate the engine.  If it is, you "may" have a rod that is partially seized to the crank BUT, pulling the flywheel isn't going to gain you anything unless you plan on completely tearing the engine down.  Also, you'll need a fly wheel puller or make one, to do the job.

#12 akretowicz ONLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 08:07 PM

My X500 did the exact same thing.  I was completely stumped.  So I swallowed my pride and took it to a small engine guy.  Well, he had some theories as to what it could be, so I left it with him.  So he calls me a few days later, and says he got it running like new.  And all he did was squirt some oil into each cylinder, turn it over by hand a few revolutions, and voila,  She started turning over as it should.  And when I asked what it was, he actually did not know. Something was binding inside was all he could tell me.  As he had removed the PTO clutch and all.  What I do know is it runs perfectly now with no knocks, tick, groans, or any unusual noises.  There, that is my two cents worth of wisdom/experience.  Good luck.

#13 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:30 AM

As several other members have suggested pull the spark plug and see if the engine turns over easier.  The are a couple of things that could cause increased compression including valves not opening and hydrostatic lock if gasoline or engine oil has leaked into the cylinder from possibly a carburetor float sticking, too much oil in the engine or tilting the mower into a position where the cylinder head was lower than the crankcase.