Homelite/jacobson Tractor?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Not too far from me is what appears to be a Ford LGT closed side type garden tractor in a junk pile on the owner's property. It's a grey color and says "Homelite" on the side of the hood.

Wanted to get some more info before I approached him about it...

Let me see if I have this right..... Jacobson made the LGT series for Ford, who sold it under the Ford name. Jacobson also made and sold the same tractors under their own name (true? what models were the Jacobson called?). Are the Jacobson "Fords" the same as the Ford "Fords"? Any differences aside from paint and branding?

At some point, the consumer division of Jacobson (Owned by parent company Textron) merged with Homelite (another Textron company) and was eventually absorbed into the Homelite brand. So the "Jacobson/Ford" product was produced and sold as a Homelite model for a few years before the name was sold to Deere and shut down all together. Wheww!!! Did I get that right?!?!?!?

Anyway, to where I was going with all this.... I have a closed side Ford LGT165 - manuals, parts, worked on them, etc. Aside from color and decals (and possibly engine size) is the Homelite the "same" as my late model Ford? Are parts interchangeable? Or did Homelite (or even Jacobson before Homelite) "change" the build of their own model from what they built for Ford?

Figure the Homelite would be the "newest" edition of the design and the last sold models... This thing looks pretty run down so I don't know if it would be a "collector" (if they even have any extra value), but if I could pick it up cheap either to rebuild as a runner or for spare parts.....

So who knows about Homelite models?

#2 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Geeze I think you got me confused now????LOL

Jacobsen built the Fords until 1983...after that the Fords were built by Gilson.

Jaconbsen also built White, Oliver, Minnie Moline

Homelites were built by Simplicity, then by Jacobsen.. but not in the same time frame as when they built the Fords... so I dont think a Homelite would be similar to a Ford LGT.

#3 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4764
  • 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 01:00 PM

Do you have a picture of said unit? I know that Jacobsen built the closed side tractors with a halfside instead of a full closed side up until at least 1987, and it was branded Jacobsen Homelite. I know as my dad bought one brand new in 1987.

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 01:16 PM

No pictures yet.... Just one of those things where I drive by and see it all the time. Know where the owner lives, but never met him before. May not even be for sale, or one of those deals where there are unrealistic expectations of what it's worth.... Just seeing it from 50 yards away or so and it piqued my interest.

From what I can see (sideshot), it looks just like my LGT165, except the color and naming on it. But again, that's at a distance...

From what I understand, the first group were branded "Jacobson/Homelite" (must have been a big hood or small lettering!), but the later ones were just "Homelite" - that's what this appears to be....

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 01:26 PM

Not the right color/name, but it looks like this - this was a picture I found online - not the one I'm looking at - which looks just like my ford....

jacobson homelite.jpg

• propane1 said thank you

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 04:50 PM

I had a jacobsen ,traded to friend, and was same as my fords except front grill piece and of course the color. The later homelite models are same color as jakes but use the ford grill. I believe all drivetrain parts are same as well as most sheet metal. When Gilson started making fords is when everything became diff between fords n jakes. If jake continued after ford went with gilson, I imagine jake homelite used whatever body parts they had left. IMO

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,883 Thanks
  • 3,116 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 06:05 PM

I have this one. Some one painted it blue but has orange paint under it , which can be seen on the running board.  What I found out from the data tag that this one is a 1987 model. Four years later than the Fords. Hope this helps some.  Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 704.jpg
  • Picture 705.jpg

#8 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,338 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 08:10 PM

I have only seen two variations of those years, both that red/orange color. One has Jacobsen above the stripe on the hood, with Homelite in the stripe. The other has Homelite above the stripe and Jacobsen below.
  • Rock farmer said thank you

#9 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,110 Thanks
  • 1,171 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 08:34 PM

If the tractor has the same sheet metal, most every thing else is the same.
They did make small improvements through the years.
But, it is essentially the same tractor.

#10 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58994
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 08:42 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I have been looking for a tractor to run my tiller, and found a couple on CL. They are too far away from me to go look at but I believe they are the same as the LGT. Here are some pics for comparison.  

Jacobsen 1.jpg Jacobsen 2.jpg Jacobsen 3.jpg

And the links