8 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 08:26 AM

I'm off to the province next door.  Going to visit my mother for vacation, so I threw the saws and hammers and shovels in the truck.  Not sure what she'll have me doing, but it'll be something.

I also hope to see my nephews and at least one or two of my brothers.  Likely some work there too, since one of my nephews is renovating and the other just started farming.

I also heard a rumour that my niece and her husband might have time for a couple of beers.  That'd be cool, since they're always so busy (work and kids) when I'm out there.

I'm leaving my wife here in charge of my dogs, or maybe it's the other way around.  It's hard to tell sometimes.  I mentioned that she could rototill the part of the garden that I'm leaving fallow this year, but she looked at me, looked at the tractor, and said, "I don't think that's going to happen."  She will water the raised beds though.  Hope she uses the tractor for that...hauling water to the back of the yard by hand is no fun at all.

Anyway, I'll be back in seven or eight days.

• daytime dave, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 08:55 AM

HAve a safe trip. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Don't work too hard! It's supposed to be a vacation. Enjoy the trip. 

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Enjoy your time with them.   Safe travels.

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Without being too nosey, what part of Sask.?

#6 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 01:02 AM

Hope you enjoy your holiday...

Some of it is still soggy as you would know... 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 31, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Just up the hill from Fort Qua'Appelle, Old Deeres.  A little town called Balcarres.

I had a pretty good time.  Did a fair bit of landscaping, shovelled much gravel, drank many beer, met my latest grand-niece for the first time, saw 2 out of 3 brothers as well as 2 nephews and a niece.  I have nice relatives...not sure what happened to me.

Discovered that my nephew bought a JD 425.  It's hail damaged now, just like everything else around there, but he's looking for a rototiller for it.  It'll take either a 2000 RPM or a 540 RPM unit.  His BIL is a JD mechanic, so running or not is fine.  If anybody in Saskatchewan or North Dakota/Montana has one, let me know and I'll pass the word along.  He could also use a loader, so if anybody has specs he can weld one up from, that'd be cool.

The hail damage...nasty.  One nephew lost his whole crop.  It's insured, but it's his first year farming, so a discouraging start.  His wife's car is also totalled and the roof on his house is a tarp.  My brother had his new camper parked out there...about $11,000 worth of damage to that.  My other nephew has about $8,000 worth of damage to his Toyota pick-up.  My mother hadn't taken her little Kia in yet, but I'd guess $4,000 in damage to that.   The one thing that was parked inside and away from the hail was an ugly 1990's Chevy half-ton that would have gained value and character from a few dents.  Ain't that always the way?

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 12:41 AM

Coincidence, I went back to our old stamping ground at Weyburn last Thursday, stayed over 'til Sunday. A terrific storm went through on Saturday but luckily there was no hail when it went over us. Just four inches of rain in about two hours. Saw several hail streaks north and east of us as it went by 'though. When we farmed down there we averaged hail every three years and never went without hail insurance.
  • MH81 and Reverend Blair have said thanks

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:25 AM

I don't remember much hail that damaging north of the Trans Canada.  Crop damage, sure, but not 100% losses and not so much damage to trucks, buildings, and equipment.

I think I drove through part of the storm you had on Saturday.  I was going south on Hgwy 56 and had to slow down to about 50KPH because the rain was so heavy I couldn't see.  Saw some poor guy standing on an approach beside his motorcycle in the middle of it.

• oldedeeres said thank you