• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cleburn OFFLINE  

Cleburn
  • Member No: 60418
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 02:34 AM

Are there any other collectors of horse-drawn farm equipment out there?  Have been collecting for many years now, started when my grandfather was forced into retirement before he wanted to retire.  He and I started restoring his old Studebaker two horse wagon, then his brother's Vulcan Hills Side turning plow, then his father-in-laws Vulcan left handed, slat winged, turning plow.  Collection has gone up from there with around 100 pieces now ranging from some small push plows up to some 8 foot rakes, mowing machines and manure spreaders.  Most are not restored, yet, and some will never be restored if their current condition makes for a better picture of farm life.  The modifications made by farmers is part of the history of the machines and like to show this as well.  Example: One of my McCormick Deering No. 7 mowing machines, a great barn find, has a short tongue where it had been cut down and a bracket added to use behind a tractor showing how farmers modified their horse drawn equipment to make use of the new tractors as few could afford a tractor AND new equipment at the same time.  (This piece came out of a barn that was literally falling down on top of it, brought it home, replaced the pitman rod which, while still there, was about to break, hosed it down, greased it up, and it mows like it was new!)  Would like to get ideas and info from other collectors of the horse drawn equipment, will be posting pictures when time permits.

Check out this facebook page I am a member of, the cover photo is of part of my collection at a show last week, that is me standing under the tent.  https://www.facebook...536917056405328

Here are more photos from the same show, all of the horse drawn pictures are also from my collection

https://www.facebook...85846627&type=3

• Alc, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Welcome to the forums Cleburn!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 06:30 AM

:welcome:
My Dad had a modest collection of horse equipment. He really enjoyed them and now Mom and I will have to decide what to do with them.
Most of his stuff was very primitive, mostly wooden.
  • Cleburn said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 07:45 AM

Welcome to GTT. Please post some pictures when you can. Good Luck, Rick

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,238 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Stuff is neat but I'm not a collector. I love horse but I don't want to work with or ride them...

Didn't check out the link I don't facebook

#6 Cleburn OFFLINE  

Cleburn
  • Member No: 60418
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 11:22 PM

:welcome:
My Dad had a modest collection of horse equipment. He really enjoyed them and now Mom and I will have to decide what to do with them.
Most of his stuff was very primitive, mostly wooden.

Many of mine are wooden as well, have a couple with wooden beams, wooden handles, wooden feet, even put together with wood pegs.  Keep me in mind if you decide to part with them, I am trying to work out something to get a museum either in Tunnel Hill or in Varnell Ga. at Prater's Mill. 

• MH81 said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:09 AM

Welcome to the fourm, have a bunch too, to name a few, Planet Jr one row cultivators, McCormick & Deering wood beam walk behind plows, McCormick # 7 sulky sickle mower, Oliver Chilled Works two way sulky plow, Syracuse Chilled Works two way plow, International Harvester seeder drill, modified plow for ditching, home built ditcher/grader, home built logging skidder, Planet Jr trainer sulky, unknown racing sulkies.

When we was productive we kept working horses, now everything collects dust.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 06:33 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, the second link in your first post doesn't work. Says page is unavailable.
If you have a we pics that you would like to share, let me know and we can get them uploaded into this thread.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: horse drawn, wagon, plow, mowing machine