Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Mtd 990 Only Runs With Choke Closed - Why?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 SammyRye OFFLINE  

SammyRye

• Member No: 1558
  • 41 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 07:57 PM

The beast is back together again!  Moved it from the shop in the garage to its home in the tarp shed.

Checked everything again just to make sure I had good fuel flow, which I do.  Checked the wiring by the coil and found a glob of black electrical tape the PO had left for me.  Ever wonder what's lurking beneath that black electrical tape?  I did - so off it came - and with it the wire from the coil to the Mega Fire (in place of points and condenser).  The wires were just taped together!  They are well secured now!  Turned on the fuel, throttle wide open, choke open and hit the key - vroom!  Let it warm up a bit (doesn't take long at 90 F), slowly pushed in the choke, and - it kept running!  Wow!  BTW VTXRider - I didn't have 2 gaskets for the upper intake to engine, so I had to make one out of a little thicker gasket material, but it works.

Now I can get some seat time in on the old gal again!  Thanks to all who offered experiences and advice - Rich

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Glad to hear you got the ole gal working. Mine had a bent points pushrod that had damaged the cam lobe. Instead of tearing it down I added the Nova II module & got a good cracking blue spark...very happy with it. It sounds you got some seat time coming up.
  • SammyRye said thank you

#18 SammyRye OFFLINE  

SammyRye

• Member No: 1558
  • 41 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Minor update:

Had a little time today, so went out to the tarp shed to check the carb settings again.  B&S recommends turning the mixture screw out 1-1/2 turns.  So, I turned the screw back in, and turned it out 2 full turns.  That did it - she runs perfectly!  Sometimes it's just the little things that'll get ya!

Rich

• Sawdust said thank you