• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 11:51 AM

I am pondering the idea of purchasing a Montgomery Ward 10 with a 4 speed transaxle. The price is reasonable I think. It has a plow blade with it and a mower deck. It appears to be in pretty decent shape with the exception of the steering wheel. It has been cobbed on. Has a 10hp B&S engine in it that runs really well. Were  these made by someone other than MW. I can't seem to find a manual for this machine in the manuals section. Any help would be appreciated. This unit I can acquire for a buck and quarter. May be able to get him down to a hundred. I will try and get pics tomorrow. Thanks Kelly

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 01:20 PM

MW didnt make a thing...all of their tractors were built by other manufacturers. Do you have a picture of the wards? Gilson and Simplicity each built a Squire 10.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 01:25 PM

MW didn't make their own. Simplicity and Bolens made early GTs for them. I don't remember who made them later. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 163 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 07:18 AM

The above is correct, Bolens, Simplicity, and Gilson all built for MW.  Only Simplicity and Gilson built a Squire 10.  Gilson started in about '68 and the MW units are the same as the Gilson S series tractors.  The Simplicity models have some parts support, Gilson not so much.  A Gilson built unit will have a long, skinny hood that the attached grille pivots up with it and there will be bug eye lights mounted on the hood.  The model number will start with GIL.  I have two MW 16, same as a Gilson S-16.  They are great, sturdy tractors, but parts outside of the engine pretty much have to be made.  I paid $75 at auction for one non-running with deck only, so your price is not too bad.