Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Maintenance. Some Do It... Others Dont...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:37 PM

I am the Adolf Hitler of maintenance. It gets done before any piece of equipment is used. Tractors all get a walk around inspection before starting them. All implements, wagons, etc get checked out before pushed into use.

Grandpa and my brother just like to jump on and go and hope it holds together.

Well today a Lack of maintenance has hit us. A year ago grandpa bought a hay rack on the auction for cheap. Hauled it home and parked it out in the field until recently. On the way home it was noticed it didn't like to turn and had a bent tie rod. Naturally grandpa said to leave it be and oddly I did. Fast forward to today. I spent 4hrs beating, heating, oiling, forcing, and practicing my best sailor impersonation. I was only able to free one spindle one the front. Still need to fix the other side and the tie rod. Also need to replace every grease zero and grease the hubs.

If it weren't for we needed this rack yesterday I would have it torched up and on the scrap pile. Just saving the nice treated lumber rack.

• tinbender7, Cvans, Traill95 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 05:59 AM

That's the big gotcha in buying used equipment. Trying to figure out if it was properly maintained or not. Preventive maintenance is always cheaper in the long run than letting stuff go til it breaks.

• tinbender7, Traill95 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 06:54 AM

Funny, I was just think yesterday about the question "what do you do when you buy something used?"  A friend asked me that a week ago & I gave my standard answer of "I go through it with a fine tooth comb."  When he asked for details, I was at a loss.  I said it depends on what it is: tractor, tool, implement, etc.  What do you check & replace?  Oil, plugs, and filters are the obvious, but do you check bearings, seals, bushings, etc?  Do you do the easy stuff or the hard to get at stuff as well?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,045 Thanks
  • 4,976 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:00 AM

I'm a check the oil and go kind of guy.  If something is broken, or needs repaired it is done before us if it is in danger of breaking something else or ripping apart during use.  Depends on the problem.

Tractors get greased monthly during grass cutting season, and get an oil change in the beginning and middle.

You can't pull the wheels and check wheel bearings every time, you can't pull the deck covers and inspect everything, ect ect.  You could but that's all you'd get done.  If you have a squealing pulley or a wobbly wheel you can't let it go you have to repair it.

My quads ect get serviced on their scheduled hour meter readings.

• tinbender7 said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,667 Thanks
  • 28,317 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:02 AM

They do that, it seems even with grease.
They don't like to be left sitting for years in one position.
In the past, I have taken the whole thing apart once I get a little movement and can get it apart.. Cleaning it that way makes the fix last longer and turn easier IMHO.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,638 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 10:10 AM

I have some customers that you can set you calender to when they will bring in their equipment for service and then others I don't see until it is broke. It is amazing how different people can be on how they take care of their stuff.

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,321 Thanks
  • 4,916 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 02:10 PM

My Grandfather said it pretty well " take care of your equipment and it will take care of you".   :thumbs:

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,230 Thanks
  • 7,459 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 03:11 PM

. Tractors all get a walk around inspection before starting them. All implements, wagons, etc get checked out before pushed into use.

When I worked for the Illinois Tollway, everything used got inspected before going out, An inspection check list was filled out and if anything was defective it got turned over to the mechanics. If it was broke and you didn't do a check sheet, you couldn't say it was like that when I got it.

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:28 PM

When my work truck has a problem, the first question is whether it can wait for the truck to go in for service.  It's not so much of a question as a demand.  And then the service gets put off until it's convenient for them. If it'll still roll, it can wait.  I'm on holidays next week so the truck is going in.  It will fail the safety.  It needs king pins, a new deck, a seal in the rear end (likely some work there as a result), and bunch of wiring.  That's what I know as a driver, not a mechanic.  Most of this could've been taken care of over the course of the year.

So when I get back from vacation, the truck won't be ready.  I'm only gone for a week, after all.  The deck is going to be the killer.  The waiting list is about a week for that kind of repair.  It'd still be fine, but we don't get time to wash things, likely the most basic maintenance on the planet, so the salt has eaten it.