8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I need to take the flywheel off of a br6 im working on. There are two flat head screws in the fly wheel. I stopped and looked at it. I didn't go any farther because I didn't know if they needed to come out or not. So that's my question do they need to come out or not?

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Are they holding on a magnet?  That's my guess.  Don't touch them if that's the case.

Ben W.

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:24 PM

They don't need to be removed. I think they are there to hold a screen onto the flywheel. Just take the big but off the crank and use a puller to remove the flywheel.
  • superaben said thank you

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:38 PM

There should be 2 bolt holes on either side of the crank to be used with an harmonic balancer puller to pull the flywheel. If the screws are in thoise holes they will have to be removed. Otherwise it isn't necessary.

• Nato77 said thank you

#5 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:06 AM

There should be 2 bolt holes on either side of the crank to be used with an harmonic balancer puller to pull the flywheel. If the screws are in thoise holes they will have to be removed. Otherwise it isn't necessary.

That would be easier to use a harmonic balancer puller than a gear puller like I used.

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:14 AM

That would be easier to use a harmonic balancer puller than a gear puller like I used.

I was always under the impression a jaw puller should be a last resort on a flywheel. I've heard of flywheels being broken using them. The Briggs tool was a heavy strap of metal and 2 bolts to go in the holes. you tightend down the bolts and gave a whack on the strap to get it off.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:19 AM

I was always under the impression a jaw puller should be a last resort on a flywheel. I've heard of flywheels being broken using them. The Briggs tool was a heavy strap of metal and 2 bolts to go in the holes. you tightend down the bolts and gave a whack on the strap to get it off.

:ditto:

With the Briggs tool you mentioned all you have to do is apply some pressure then one sharp blow with the hammer usually pops them right off.

I believe I can still get versions of this puller.

• trowel said thank you

#8 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I ended up making a puller for my Kohler out of a piece of 1/4" plate. I made the center hole large enough to fit the center section of my 3 jaw puller, took the jaws off my puller and bolted the plate to the flywheel. It worked good, I'll try to get a picture of the rig later.

#9 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 07:18 PM

I ended up making a puller for my Kohler out of a piece of 1/4" plate. I made the center hole large enough to fit the center section of my 3 jaw puller, took the jaws off my puller and bolted the plate to the flywheel. It worked good, I'll try to get a picture of the rig later.

Here is what I made for the Kohler.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
  • drbish and trowel have said thanks