24 replies to this topic

#16 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 12:55 PM

The compact tractor I use now is an older one and its gear drive so Im not sure there will be much of a difference with the clutch.  Overall size is pretty similar but the jeep cj is a foot or so wider and 2ft longer, Im not sure a 6' plow is going to angle and cover wheel tracks?  What are push plates and what are they used for? 

Push plates are the steel brackets that bolt onto your Jeep under the engine.  Either to the frame, crossmember, or end of the frame.  Farther back you can get them the stronger it will be.  transfers the weight of the plow bouncing around and the shock of banging into things with the blade.  If you can find a set made for a Jeep will be easier.  Then the headgear is usually welded onto the plates, the headgear has the mount for the plow down low and the light bar up high, lift cylinder in the middle.  If you have an electric pump on the headgear then you won't need to mount a hydraulic one under the hood or find pulleys to go on your engine.

Some guys say you can't plow with a blade that is too short, you will get stuck backing out of turns, etc.  But Jeeps are pretty narrow and a 6.5' blade is good for a small truck so 6' for a Jeep would probably work fine if you are careful backing up.  Also tall skinny tires are better in snow than fat ones maybe get some winter tires for plowing will narrow your stance.  Also need a few hundred lbs. in back to offset the plow helps with traction

As for battery i just use a good marine starting battery regular alternator never had a problem with the battery been plowing for years many different truck & plow setups.  Get a plow truck you won't miss plowing out in the open, keep the tractor for backup or doing your woodlot out back just m.o. good luck

• js5020 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 02:33 PM

Push plates are the steel brackets that bolt onto your Jeep under the engine.  Either to the frame, crossmember, or end of the frame.  Farther back you can get them the stronger it will be.  transfers the weight of the plow bouncing around and the shock of banging into things with the blade.  If you can find a set made for a Jeep will be easier.  Then the headgear is usually welded onto the plates, the headgear has the mount for the plow down low and the light bar up high, lift cylinder in the middle.  If you have an electric pump on the headgear then you won't need to mount a hydraulic one under the hood or find pulleys to go on your engine.

Some guys say you can't plow with a blade that is too short, you will get stuck backing out of turns, etc.  But Jeeps are pretty narrow and a 6.5' blade is good for a small truck so 6' for a Jeep would probably work fine if you are careful backing up.  Also tall skinny tires are better in snow than fat ones maybe get some winter tires for plowing will narrow your stance.  Also need a few hundred lbs. in back to offset the plow helps with traction

As for battery i just use a good marine starting battery regular alternator never had a problem with the battery been plowing for years many different truck & plow setups.  Get a plow truck you won't miss plowing out in the open, keep the tractor for backup or doing your woodlot out back just m.o. good luck

Excellent info, I've plowed snow for 40 yrs but always with a gt or the compact tractor this would be the first vehicle.  Tall skinny snow tires are just what I had in mind for all season rubber, I'm older so those huge mudder tires don't interest me one bit anymore.  I would likely transfer and adapt the lift I use on the compact, it is not a regular plow lift rather an electric/hyd power pack that works in similar fashion except I have power down with it. 

#18 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 01:49 AM

I'm older 

Made me spit my drink out...  :poke:

I ran a 6 foot 6 blade on my 88 chevy half ton.. your 6 footer should be fine on a narrow cj.. and turn like a fool too..  Don't forget a DR . Pepper.....   :beer:

• js5020 said thank you

#19 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 09:17 AM

Made me spit my drink out...  :poke:

I ran a 6 foot 6 blade on my 88 chevy half ton.. your 6 footer should be fine on a narrow cj.. and turn like a fool too..  Don't forget a DR . Pepper.....   :beer:

The more I think and get info from those who have experience plowing with CJs the more I like this idea.  I don't think I will not like being dry, warm, listening to tunes with a DP while also having power steering for that beast of a plow, and as someone posted if the blade is a little narrow a bit of steel and a few sparks, problem solved.  My only concern is having the same or more tractive force that the compact has to move snow, Im thinking I should as I only run R-1 tires/no chains with a 5' boxblade on the 3pth for ballast, tires aren't loaded on the compact tractor. 

#20 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 09:58 AM

The nice thing about plowing with the Jeep, if you get too warm you can always roll the window down.  :smilewink:

• js5020 said thank you

#21 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 03:39 PM

The more I think and get info from those who have experience plowing with CJs the more I like this idea.  I don't think I will not like being dry, warm, listening to tunes with a DP while also having power steering for that beast of a plow, and as someone posted if the blade is a little narrow a bit of steel and a few sparks, problem solved.  My only concern is having the same or more tractive force that the compact has to move snow, Im thinking I should as I only run R-1 tires/no chains with a 5' boxblade on the 3pth for ballast, tires aren't loaded on the compact tractor. 

As stated before.. just make sure you leave room for extra rows of snow if it's not going to melt soon. I loved having my little 88 chevy last year.. of course it's gone now.. needed the cash.. so.. now i need to get some steel and build a bracket for the plow to fit my 80 3/4 ton..

#22 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 05:21 PM

I need to familiarize myself with how a plow mounts up, Im sure the mount will need to be made as they are probably rare as hens teeth,, or so spendy I could make my own 3 time over for what they want.

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 06:29 PM

Start watching CL or even put an ad up yourself for a CJ plow kit. There's tons of them out there.
  • js5020 said thank you

#24 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 09:44 PM

If your going to be driving it a lot on the road with the plow on, your going to find the front suspension is bottoming. On my YJ I installed overload shocks on the front and that made a different machine out of it. In the spring I changed them out when I took the plow off. Only takes a few minutes. I had a Western SUV plow and it seemed to do the Job just fine. Thinking it was 6.5' wide and when fully angled it was just right to keep the Jeep in a plowed track. Before that I had a Ram-charger with a Fisher plow. It was a beast but I did run the battery dead on it trying to plow open a road. Ended up killing the engine and had to get a jump from behind with LOOOONG jumper cables. After that fiasco a larger alternator was installed and it never happened again.  The problem with it was the room it took to turn it around. The Jeep will just about bites itself in the hind end when turning around. 

• js5020 said thank you

#25 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Im not going to be roading it for long, I'll put it on for a snow and take it off when done.  Most I will do on the road is 10 miles to dads and back or I'll just take my 2 wheel Gravely over for the winter, last winter was the last Im plowing with his ATV, I hate that thing for plowing his short drive.

• Cvans said thank you