• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 07:07 PM

I recently picked up a Jeep CJ5 the other day and I got to thinking,,,, and the question I have since I have never used a vehicle to plow snow is how would this CJ compare to a 26hp 4wd for snow removal? I already have a 6' plow (Meyers or Western) which I use on the compact.  After last season Im pretty tired of being cold and wet.  So what say you?  Better/worse/or even?

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,926 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 07:33 PM

A heated environement with Metallica blasting on the stereo is preferable. If what you have to do is large enough for a truck, have at it. Don't bury the plow in a pile, though. A Jeep will never pull it back out.
  • wilberj, IamSherwood, Titus and 4 others have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:34 PM

A local car lot had a jeep for years and really liked it. The short turning made it nice for going around the vehicles.

• js5020, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:36 PM

Warm and dry is good, unless you like winter. I don't. I am looking at a Massey , with heated cab !!! Noel
  • js5020 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:36 PM

A heated environement with Metallica blasting on the stereo is preferable.

Sounds like a good time to me.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:43 PM

What happened to all you big strong, tractor loving men? A little bit more snow than usual last winter and you turn tails and run. Why don't you just do like I do and go south for the winter and drink toddies by the fire! :D

• olcowhand and shorty have said thanks

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:46 PM

What happened to all you big strong, tractor loving men? A little bit more snow than usual last winter and you turn tails and run. Why don't you just do like I do and go south for the winter and drink toddies by the fire! :D

But then we might have withdrawel symptoms to deal with. Not checking GTtalk for four months, that could be listed as cruelty. :smilewink:  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

• HANKG said thank you

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Now thats no fun!!!

#9 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:53 PM

A heated environement with Metallica blasting on the stereo is preferable. If what you have to do is large enough for a truck, have at it. Don't bury the plow in a pile, though. A Jeep will never pull it back out.

The heated and dry environment along with a few creature comforts (radio, power steering) is what is attracting me to this idea.  I use the 6' plow now and the compact tractor isn't that much smaller than the jeep.   

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Turning radius on most compact tractors is much smaller then a jeep would be. If that's not an issue it should work just fine. You can get more speed when plowing with a jeep which will allow you to move more snow. It probably weighs as much or more so it should have the traction if the tires are good.

• js5020, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 06:55 AM

We had a Cherokee for years where I worked. It was a great snow mover... Agile, quick, easy to operate. Get a blade wider than the jeep when angled, but don't go much bigger. Also, with the increased speed come the increased risk of wanting to force the snow into a packed pile. Don't slam it in there, and make sure you get one with a spring trip.

#12 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 08:05 AM

Plow truck has suspension, nice after an hour bouncing over plow banks and ice.  With a Jeep have to work clutch all the time if knees and back good start looking for some push plates, can make your own but it takes a lot of cutting & welding.  Do you have head gear with electric/hydro pump up front...?   6' might be a little short how wide is the footprint on the Jeep?

#13 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Plow truck has suspension, nice after an hour bouncing over plow banks and ice.  With a Jeep have to work clutch all the time if knees and back good start looking for some push plates, can make your own but it takes a lot of cutting & welding.  Do you have head gear with electric/hydro pump up front...?   6' might be a little short how wide is the footprint on the Jeep?

The compact tractor I use now is an older one and its gear drive so Im not sure there will be much of a difference with the clutch.  Overall size is pretty similar but the jeep cj is a foot or so wider and 2ft longer, Im not sure a 6' plow is going to angle and cover wheel tracks?  What are push plates and what are they used for? 

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:21 AM

One big question, do you have enough room to push the snow during a bad winter. Having used a Jeep with a plow for many years I can tell you that you are going to want to plan where you push your snow. 

#1 That snow will be around long after the rest has melted.

#2  Once you push that snow into a pile it will be hard as a rock

#3  Start your piles far enough away so you have room for the whole winter.

#4  Make sure the defrosters on your Jeep are in excellent working condition.

#5  A plow and lights use a lot of amperage. Is your alternator up to the task?

#6  When people find out you have a plow your going to be getting new friends. Charge them as snow plowing can be hard on a vehicle.

#7  It is kind of fun but don't think you can make a living doing it.

Enjoy your Jeep!  :smilewink:

Edited by Cvans, July 18, 2014 - 09:22 AM.

• MH81, js5020, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:36 AM

The other alternative is a cab for the tractor. I just bought a steel topped cab. It has a glass windsheild and side curtains. I've plowed with my Ford 2000 tractor for over 25 years. It was always cold and usually wet. I look forward to being dry and a little warmer. It has a working windsheild wiper and I will add a small electric defroster. If I had a jeep I'd use it. If the plow is too short, you can attach wings to the sides to make it wider. Good Luck, Rick
  • Cvans, js5020 and oldedeeres have said thanks