7 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm on the hunt for a trailer. Looking at something to haul equipment and hay with. Nothing major, a tandem axle 16ft trailer would be perfect. 3500lbs axles are the most I would need.

Looking at new trailers I just about gouged my eyes out. Used trailers are no better. Last year a trailer like what I wanted was going for about $1000 used in good shape. Now I can't even get one that needs work for under $1500.

So now I'm considering making a trailer. I have a trailer house frame but no axles. I'm thinking of cutting it down to 16ft but I'm not sure that the frame can handle a heavy load. Max load I'm think would be around 6000lbs.

What kind of load can I put on a trailer house frame?
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:28 AM

You need to keep looking and aggressively watch local adds. Good ones sell fast. Most vendors know that and price accordingly. Also keep your eye out for roadside For Sale signs. It may take a while to find something suitable. Have you thought of approaching someone who has a trailer but doesn't use it much. Maybe you could make a deal to share the trailer?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:36 AM

You need to keep looking and aggressively watch local adds. Good ones sell fast. Most vendors know that and price accordingly. Also keep your eye out for roadside For Sale signs. It may take a while to find something suitable. Have you thought of approaching someone who has a trailer but doesn't use it much. Maybe you could make a deal to share the trailer?

I had a trailer that I did use on occasion. How ever its owner won't part ways with it and its not in the best shape. The brakes have issues and the lights work sometimes. I offered to fix it for him to lessen the cost of each use. Now he won't even license it because of the cost. It's a 18ft 10k skid loader trailer if I remember right.

The trailer house frame has two I beams that are only 1/8inch. That surprises me, I thought they would be heavier.
  • JDBrian and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:47 AM

House trailer frames are risky. They aren't made for many uses. You are best off shopping around and saving up for a good one. I've got the other problem. My 5 ton 16' trailer is fine but my C30 is dead so I can't pull it. Good Luck, Rick

• JDBrian, tinbender7 and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:53 AM

House trailer frames are tinny pressed together things and flimsy!  PLUS, they use those odd wheels and sizes and many states are now making those illegal for trailer use, cept the one time delivery of the home. I have made car hauler trailer and it was NOT any cheaper to do that, but I did put in tie-downs and and ramp features to my liking that way.  We have auto-rv.com site and catalog around mid-west that has trailer ads and section with all kinds of deals. They have car haulers way down low in price, but no brakes most times, lighter tongue and probly lighter metal. I would think HAY would need a pretty beefy trailer, not a light one. ONe full size tractor of medium size also would need better trailer. You won't be saving anything getting a cheap one.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 12:08 PM

Bill I too have been looking at trailers and like has been said used are no bargain compared to new and with the price of steel I see no savings in building yourself. I do not know how far north in Minnesota you are?
but there is a place in SW Iowa called Hull Trailers and they build one fine trailer,if I were buying that is what I would get.
The True Value in Newton is a dealer for them.
there is a very informative web site from a dealer that sells their product, do a goggle search for Stateline Trailers.
even if you do not want their product you can learn a lot from their website
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 12:41 PM

After watching craigslist, looking at ebay, paper ads, etc, for over a year, I finally found mine on Craigslist. Mine was in my driveway less than 24 hours after it was posted. Finding one is easy, finding one at what I considered to be reasonably priced took me quite a while. (Mine is a 2012, 5 X 10 with rear drop down gate and 15" wheels. I was able to talk him down a little and he threw in the ball with insert for $750, no steal, but not bad). Good luck, it takes patience.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 02:35 PM

I have a 5x7 utility trailer, it is more home made now with all the strengthening I've done. New it was advertised as a 1200lb trailer for $800. In the current market, needing paint. I could probably get $700 for it since it has a newer deck and new tires.

Felling trailers are made down the road from me in Sauk centre. I looked at there trailers and yes very nice trailers but the price tag is a killer!

I had a chance to get a trailer last winter but it needed work and I was a little short on cash. Kicking myself now.

As for hauling hay we only do small squares and our buyers usually only want a couple hundred tops.

Edited by BillTheTractorMan, July 17, 2014 - 02:44 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you