• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cobrahd1999 OFFLINE  

cobrahd1999
  • Member No: 58510
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 08:43 PM

I am going to have my 3rd back surgery in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone has a custom seat that is great for the back on a John Deere LA115? I was thinking maybe a old bucket seat from a car would be better suspension or am I just dreaming. Also just was told to try a Suspension Seat
thanks for any ideas

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Welcome to GTTalk  !  Would something with a high back be something your thinking about ?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:20 PM

WELCOME!!

Let some air out of the tires to make the ride softer.  ???

• GTTinkerer, tinbender7 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:26 PM

My back isnt much better so I put a suspension seat with side wings and some soft riding quad tires on my '75 Columbia that used to be real rough to ride... one of the easiest tractors to ride now. Got the seat from Princess Auto for around $140 or so.

On my phone atm so cant post a pic, will later
  • MH81, Alc, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#5 cobrahd1999 OFFLINE  

cobrahd1999
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Lance & ALc hit the nail on the head. Suspension & a high back. That's why I was thinking a car bucket seat maybe with some luck fine one with power.

But any ways guys thanks for all your input. Meds starting to kick in typing with lots of mistakes... :wave:

#6 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 03:57 AM

K home from work now.... Pic doesnt show the suspension system but it is there and works quite well, its fully adjustable as is the back height, the wings on the side are not real strong but they help keep you from bouncing around. I would expect alot of tractor supply type companys would sell something very similar.

Tires are soft rubber quad tires and inflated to 8 lbs so they help alot also, softer than any ag Ive had and more traction to boot. Ive had alot of tractors... currently 9.... anything from a riding mower to an 8000 lb IH.... but this Columbia is the easiest to ride for any lenght of time and I'll be buying another seat just like it in the near future.... just waitin for them to go on sale again because they are usually $180.... think it was on for $139 when I bought the first one about a year ago.

Col_006.JPG

• Gtractor, MH81, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 06:54 AM

We have Bostrom seats in our med duty trucks at work , I wonder if you could find one used ?  The ones we have  are air adjustable so that type you would need to rig up a schrader valve to fill it.

http://www.bostromseating.com/

#8 cherokee140 OFFLINE  

cherokee140
  • Member No: 59151
  • 18 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Look at the deluxe seat that comes on the JD 1025r.

I just bought a SCUT tractor a few months ago and in shopping their seat was the best hands down that was out there.  I really don't know what they cost but I doubt they are cheap.  I ended up with a Kubota BX, but I am still thinking about trying to find a way to mount that seat on my orange tractor.

• Alc said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Welcome to GTT. Right now I'm on "bed rest" because my back went out on Monday. The big seat should help but remember, sitting is the worst position for your back. Good Luck, Rick

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:46 AM

sitting is the worst position for your back. Good Luck, Ric

Rick it's funny you mention this as I can't stand still for more than a few minutes of my back and hips are killing me. I can set in a good chair all day. These are my doctors words " your back looks like a train wreck". 

Back to the original subject, Lance is correct on both accounts but I would like to ad that 2 ply tires are much softer riding than 4 ply tires. Found this out the expensive way. I put 4 ply tires on my diesel golf cart thinking they would be less prone to punctures (they are)  but they ride like truck tires and if you run them low on air they take a set over night and ride like they are square in the morning  :mad2:

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Car seat on little JD???? Nahhh!  Redneck as heck!   Suspension seats at farm stores sounds good, but I think one with proper lean back when mounted would make diff to me. Some of arms on the ebay ones are flimsy and won't hold up. I bought a new one onthere and it came with broken plastic hinged arm from start.  Chinese stuff.  Have to also watch that seat won't drop down between fenders and hit on sides, check your tractor for space. Bigger tractor, Bigger wheels might help! 

#12 cobrahd1999 OFFLINE  

cobrahd1999
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 08:11 PM

K home from work now.... Pic doesnt show the suspension system but it is there and works quite well, its fully adjustable as is the back height, the wings on the side are not real strong but they help keep you from bouncing around. I would expect alot of tractor supply type companys would sell something very similar.

Tires are soft rubber quad tires and inflated to 8 lbs so they help alot also, softer than any ag Ive had and more traction to boot. Ive had alot of tractors... currently 9.... anything from a riding mower to an 8000 lb IH.... but this Columbia is the easiest to ride for any lenght of time and I'll be buying another seat just like it in the near future.... just waitin for them to go on sale again because they are usually $180.... think it was on for $139 when I bought the first one about a year ago.

attachicon.gifCol_006.JPG

thanks I think this will work just fine for me.I just wonder want shipping would be to the US. Or if you have a manufactures name that I can look up here in the States.

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,753 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Northern Tool sells the fancy suspension seat used on the JD x700 and 1 series tractors. It is made by the Michigan Seat Company and only comes in black. Due to the color, they charge half of what JD wants for a yellow one with a logo on it.

http://m.northerntoo...68374_200268374

#14 cobrahd1999 OFFLINE  

cobrahd1999
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 02:53 PM

thanks I think this will work just fine for me.I just wonder want shipping would be to the US. Or if you have a manufactures name that I can look up here in the States.

Lance does the back also adjust like a car seat. I am looking for something out there that adjust seat and back if this seat does it all then that's the seat I need.

#15 cobrahd1999 OFFLINE  

cobrahd1999
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 05:42 PM

I THINK i FOUND ONE i BEEN LOOKING FOR AT TRACTOR SUPPLY ITS ABOUT 40 MILES AWAY AND ITS ONLY $99 ITS A SUSPENSION SEAT. i WILL MEASURE MY TRACTOR TO SEE IF IT WILL FIT. BRACKETS AN'T NO PROBLEM FRIEND A WELD SHOP SO HE WILL MAKE UP ANY THING i NEED. i ONLY GOT A LITTLE OVER WEEK BEFORE MY BACK SURGERY.

SO THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.