#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Okay, Maybe having a brain fart but I am looking at a Kohler 20 Hp V twin Command motor, still in tractor, flywheel is connected to hydro pump. They say it ran early last year, but it got parked due to a broken steering box.

So, we pulled truck over, tried to jump direct to starter, just got sparks and smoke so I quit. Was worried I was going to fry starter. 

So, what is best way to try to turn this motor over? I figured I might pull plugs then use a rag and pipe wrench on the front crank to see if it will turn over... Good? Bad? 

The pump is in bypass so it will roll, but not sure if it's holding motor tight. 

I'm going back tomorrow afternoon to give it a try. They are going to charge a battery to see if we can get any juice to starter.

If it is not locked up.... I will be starting a new thread  :thumbs:

Thanks for suggestions. 

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 speedex99gt OFFLINE  

speedex99gt
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10699
  • 43 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Pulling plugs is a good idea. I have used a pipe wrench and a rag and it didn't hurt anything. Good Luck :wave:

• tinbender7 and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 05:52 AM

The hydro will not keep the engine from turning over unless it is stuck for some reason. If it's a shaft driven hydro you can usually get a wrench on the coupler or a long screwdriver through the u joint, if it has them, and use that to turn the motor over. I was just doing that the other day on a JD317 with a KT17 kohler.  If you can't budge it that way with the plugs in then there is something wrong.

• speedex99gt and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Being old & having had more than my share of "senior's moments", I would try again ensuring the jumpers are connected properly.  Sparks & smoke sometimes means you have the jumper cables reversed.  

Can you spin it by hand?

• TAHOE said thank you

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Can you spin it by hand?

Nope, that there lies the problem. There was an electric clutch on the front at one time, now it's just the crank stub. I could not turn it by hand either no grip or I am a weakling.  :hitting_self_roller:

I can see the u joint on drive shaft where it's coupled to the hydro pump, but doubt I can get a screw driver or something in there to turn it, no room due to frame.

I checked the oil and while it was not chocolate milk, it had that kind of color, not black, but that dark milky look. They had the air breather removed, a plastic bag over the top and sitting behind barn since last year. I'm worried it got some water down the carb and into the block.

plan tonight is to pull plugs and try to turn over with a pipe wrench. If it's at least free, then I will feel better.

Here is my wonderful painting exercise, picture of the starter. The red is the hot from battery. orange I figure comes from switch. The black rectangle is a plastic separator, the circle with the gray was another terminal and the gray was like a piece of braided strap that went inside the starter. The blue arrow indicate where I was trying to direct jump it with cables. It just sparked and then smoked some so I quit. Didn't want to damage their starter in case I don't buy, but I want this tractor.

May even have to sell a Sears or two  :oh_shucks:

Attached File  kohler starter.bmp   2.51MB   22 downloads

• JDBrian and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:18 AM

plan tonight is to pull plugs and try to turn over with a pipe wrench. If it's at least free, then I will feel better.

Here is my wonderful painting exercise, picture of the starter. The red is the hot from battery. orange I figure comes from switch. The black rectangle is a plastic separator, the circle with the gray was another terminal and the gray was like a piece of braided strap that went inside the starter. The blue arrow indicate where I was trying to direct jump it with cables. It just sparked and then smoked some so I quit. Didn't want to damage their starter in case I don't buy, but I want this tractor.

May even have to sell a Sears or two  :oh_shucks:

attachicon.gifkohler starter.bmp

I hope it turns over for you and you get to buy the tractor. Maybe it has a lot of compression. Pulling the plugs and trying again should tell you a lot.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Would you be better off making an offer now ? A broken steering box, engine frozen , no pto clutch how much is it worth ? Maybe get it free or at scrap price .

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Would you be better off making an offer now ? A broken steering box, engine frozen , no pto clutch how much is it worth ? Maybe get it free or at scrap price .

Yea, maybe. 

The guy I am dealing with is the son, his dad wants 400 for it cause he paid $300 per rear tire just about 2 yrs ago. 

The son says mom said it had to go and she will probably take whatever I offer :D . I think even if they won't take less than 400 and it needs motor, still a deal with what it is...but I can't let that out of the box just yet!  :smilewink:

I looked up prices when this tractor was new in 96/97...... $11,000   :loosing_it:

I downloaded the manual, it talked about all the safety's and I saw the seat safety was unhooked so maybe one reason why it would turn over, but then it should've done something when I jumped solenoid. Guess we will see in a few hours. 

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 08:23 AM

so, I got here yesterday afternoon, owner had starter out. He was trying to figure out how to test it..."I don't know much about electrical".

So we used a battery charger and the starter spun, but would not throw out gear. It's a GM looking bendix starter so maybe weak or just needs a good R&R. 

I pulled the plugs, put pipe wrench on crank and once it broke lose, it turned over pretty free. Plugs were little black from maybe too rich, but no oil soaking....good sign. 

It was a good thing we did not try to start, with starter out I could see inside flywheel....packed with a large wasp nest and one huge old mouse nest. 

So anyway, I bough it for $375. Maybe too high, but I am happy with the purchase and if it runs, I got one heck of a tractor. 

Pics will follow when I bring it home. Either tonight or I have to wait until early next week. 

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you