• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 01:18 PM

I have a tecumseh hh100 that i just did a carb rebuild, it runs good at idle and half throttle, when its running at  higher rpm it runs good for a little for about 30 seconds to a minute then starts breaking up until you idle it down and runs smooth again and the process starts over, im wanting to lean towards and iginition issue but not 100%, anyone got ideas??

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 01:34 PM

What was it doing before the carb rebuild?

• Brando said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Have you tried adjusting the high speed screw?  Sound like it's not getting enough gas. When I do a carb rebuild I will count the # of turns for each screw and write them down (I don't dare trust my memory) then when I put it back together I put them back at that #.  If I mess up and don't count the turn before I disassemble it then I use the standard 1 1/2 turns and adjust from there.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Brando have said thanks

#4 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 02:43 PM

it had a hole in the float and needle seat was deteriated. when i do a rebuild i start from scratch 2 turns on each screw then fine tune from there, but i tried the high speed screw and it had no affect on it, thats why i want to lean towards and ignition problem like its getting hot and shutting off like a coil going bad if that makes sense

#5 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 02:53 PM

Fuel filter?

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 03:20 PM

it had a hole in the float and needle seat was deteriated. when i do a rebuild i start from scratch 2 turns on each screw then fine tune from there, but i tried the high speed screw and it had no affect on it, thats why i want to lean towards and ignition problem like its getting hot and shutting off like a coil going bad if that makes sense

I think it is still fuel related.  If it were an ignition problem I would think you would see an issue at other settings and since you just rebuilt the carb...

Here are some suggestions to check from the Tecumseh manual:

Float adjustment:

Proper float setting will require the use of TecumsehPower tool part number 670377 or a 11/64" drill bit. The procedure for setting the float height is as follows. Remove the bowl gasket, then hold the carburetor in the inverted position. Place the tool across the carburetor body opposite and parallel to the float hinge pin. Adjust the float height by bending the tab on the float until it touches.

Needle spring placement:

"Make sure the long end of the clip on the inlet needle points toward the air intake (choke) end of the
carburetor."

Float bowl installation:

Install the float bowl by placing the detent portion opposite of the hinge pin. Make sure the deepest end of the bowl is opposite of the inlet needle. The bowl has a small dimple located in the deepest part. The purpose of this dimple is to minimize the chances of the float sticking to the bottom of the bowl caused by stale fuel.

#7 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 03:22 PM

Sounds like it may be running out of gas--does this have a fuel pump?Might not be putting out enought to run at high speed.Are the fuel lines new?A fuel line can look good on the outside but the inside could be colapesed.Fuel filter new?Paper filters will plug it they ever got water in them even if they look good.

Check vent on gas tank,sound dumb but I seen things like this happen and it can drive a person nuts.

Just tossing out some ideas

#8 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 03:57 PM

i took the carb off my 112 and put it on this tractor, did the same thing so i know its not a carb issue the lines are new there is no filter on it at the moment got plenty of gas to the carb. i found a leak in the head gasket that could be my problem.

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 05:09 PM

I would look to the float myself, if the float is set to low then the bowl will not have enough fuel in it and it will run itself out of fuel, then when you throttle down the bowl will fill back up and it will run ok till you hit HI rev's again.

Pete

• Brando said thank you

#10 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:49 PM

I would look to the float myself, if the float is set to low then the bowl will not have enough fuel in it and it will run itself out of fuel, then when you throttle down the bowl will fill back up and it will run ok till you hit HI rev's again.

Pete

I put a good carb off of my jd 112 that runs like a top on it and it did the same thing

#11 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Has the condenser ever been changed.  My father left the condenser of his B&S and It did pretty much the same thing.  Ran great at an idle but as soon as you revved it up it would die out.

Pete

• Brando said thank you

#12 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Has the condenser ever been changed.  My father left the condenser of his B&S and It did pretty much the same thing.  Ran great at an idle but as soon as you revved it up it would die out.

Pete

No it has not been replaced that i know of, were the head gasket was blown it was blowing out right on the coil. Ill have to check out the condenser when my head gasket comes in.

#13 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 07:26 PM

I just read your post about the head gasket. That could certainly be the problem, good find.
  • Brando said thank you

#14 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 01:49 PM

head gasket wont be here until wednsday, hopefully that fixes the problem. this tractor has been a pita everytime i turn around its something else haha gotta love it!

Edited by NCtractorman83, July 20, 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#15 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 07:09 PM

head gasket wont be here until wednsday, hopefully that fixes the problem. this tractor has been a pita everytime i turn around its something else haha gotta love it!

That will happen at times :D
  • Brando said thank you