14 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 08:21 PM

I should say first off that I'm not interested in buying this myself, but I was wondering if someone here may be able to tell me more about it.  I've always liked them, but know very little about them as I tend to stick with the older oddball stuff.  What model is it, and how does this one look?  I'm looking to learn.  I'm guessing that the years given in the ad are wrong.  That looks like the original paint, and if it is, that looks pretty good, at least to me.  Must be missing some shrouds or something around the pulleys.

http://www.kijiji.ca...gationFlag=true

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG5

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 11:25 PM

That's steep in my book for as many parts as there are AWOL.

Ben W.

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 05:22 AM

The hood is in great shape, they rarely are.The tires are original the exhaust shield is missing hard to find the belt guard is missing even harder to find, the rear belt guard is not for a 58RJ.It looks like Clinton curved head engine . It might not be a 58 at all early throttle, RJ 57 Me thinks.Certainly not worth that coin. Looks to be mix and match

Edited by HANKG, July 16, 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#4 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:11 AM

I figured he was priced far over what it was worth.  I know shrouds and belt guards for anything are hard to find, and if you can find them, are expensive.  I was thinking it was worth more like half to a third of his asking price.  Am I closer to the mark?

#5 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• Member No: 2691
  • 328 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:17 AM

Guys, if this wasnt in Canada I'd be on this like white on rice. That's a 1957 RJ35. Notice the drive system - no trans - fully belt drive. That's the RJ35 setup. It looks clean and straight. The motor is missing some stuff, but big deal. It's a Kohler K91. Parts are everywhere and entire K91's are too. $950 is fair market value if not a little on the cheap side in my opinion. Great machine. In fact, it's the same tractor as the one in my avatar.

• HANKG said thank you

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 04:54 PM

I was wondering about that rear end???  I bit earlier than mine.  I have an actual trans on my 58 rj.  I think the price is a bit HI myself but I have never seen one with that drive system.  I do know the hood is very nice but without the guards and engine covers not worth it.  I got my 48 for $350 plus $260 for the correct engine, and I have all the guards.

Another member here just sold one for $400 I think. 

Pete

#7 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• 328 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:51 PM

The belt guard is there and the engine tins for the K91 are a dime a dozen. I talked to the owner a few hours ago and its already sold. Someone got a nice rig at a great price. I have seven RJ35's and wouldn't sell any of them for a penny less than a grand each. They are rare and hard to find. RJ58's are everywhere. RJ35's not so much.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 07:21 PM

The belt guard is there and the engine tins for the K91 are a dime a dozen. I talked to the owner a few hours ago and its already sold. Someone got a nice rig at a great price. I have seven RJ35's and wouldn't sell any of them for a penny less than a grand each. They are rare and hard to find. RJ58's are everywhere. RJ35's not so much.

How about the RJ58 early with mow deck with the Clinton 1200 then ?

Edited by trowel, July 16, 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 07:34 PM

After reading the posts and prices on this thread I can almost bet we're going to be seeing all kinds of these pop up on the web for $2,000+ :D :poke:

• trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 08:10 PM

if the RJ35 is going to become the next prom queen of the next several years then what about the next one down, the RJ58 early with mow deck powered by the Clinton 1200 engine ?

#11 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• 328 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 06:35 AM

The RJ35 was produced from 1955-1957. They were a belt driven setup vs. the later models (1958 and later), which had the three speed transmission. 1958-1959 were the highest production of the RJ models and most prevalent. In 1960-1961 Wheel Horse re-named the "RJ (Ride-Away Jr.)" a Suburban - basically the same tractor with a few minor differences and easily identifiable by the rolled lines in the hood vs. the smooth hoods of the 1955-1959 RJ's. The RJ35's ran primarilyClintons until 1957 when the Kohler K90 and Kohler 91 was being introduced. Prior to Cecil Pond passing away, he said on many occasions that they would build these tractors with pretty much anything on hand in the shop at that time. Therefore, some 57's have Kohlers and some 58's have left-over Clintons.  

In 1954 Cecil and Elmer Pond built the first "RJ" prototype, which was only pictured in one 1954 magazine ad and Cecil confirmed at the annual wheel horse show a few years back that it was quickly disassmbled and parted out as orders started coming in during the year of 1955. The proto was based off of a 1955 cable steer RJ with a one-off fiberglass hood. Last year my brother debuted his nut-and-bolt reproduction of the '54 prototype at the annual WH show. The hood is hand built fiberglass just like the original was. He duplicated the tractor and color scheme directly from the original ad and input from Mike Martino and Cecil Pond.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130621_071722_004-1.jpg
  • imagesCAZ7MXQ4.jpg

• Canawler said thank you

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Grnlark,

You still have not answered my question, or should i ask the red fourm ?

#13 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• 328 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:00 AM

It's not uncommon to find RJ58's with Clintons. I think three of my 58's have them. Mower decks (unfortunately) are near valueless. I have several mint ones and at most you'll see $150-200 if you tried to sell it. RJ58's based on condition are still ranging $400-1000.

#14 jsp_333 OFFLINE  

jsp_333
  • Member No: 76154
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 11:55 AM

I know this is an old topic and probably won't be seen by most but...

I bought that tractor mentioned in the Kijiji ad and found this forum while looking for another rj to restore.

Restoration has been relatively smooth. 

For the most part it's been take it apart, clean it,  put it back together. 

The tractor is in incredible shape for a 60 year old tractor.

The hood is dead straight - no dings or gouges or holes.

No holes in gas tank and it also came with the float which I have yet to hook up.

Got the original engine running last week and am starting on the belt drive system today.

Took  over a year to find original engine parts. 

Still have to clean up the back end and have a look inside the rear hub.

Going to have to get a belt guard. At this point I'm thinking a reproduction is all I'm going to get.

Fingers crossed but so far so good.

I'll post some pics if anyone is interested

• KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 05:57 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Starting your own thread will get more folks looking. And pics do draw folks in. I'm sure you'll get a nice welcome and help when needed.