• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 axel waldkirch OFFLINE  

axel waldkirch
  • Member No: 59180
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:23 PM

I was at the repair shop where they are working on my 318, they could not remove the left side rear brake hub. They used 3 different pullers, one of which was for a truck, they sprayed penetrating solvents, even tried applying a torch to the hub to no avail. We abandoned the effort and hope the brakes on the right side will do the job. Does anyone on this list have any Idea what to do now?

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 02:11 PM

I was just reading a thread about the same problem a couple weeks ago.... Took an interest cuz I plan to pull my hubs and go through the brakes on my project 318 soon. I don't think it was on here, but in the archives on Weekend Freedom....
Here's the jist of it, from what I remember; the hub is just a press-on fit on either a splined or keyed shaft. BUT, if it hasn't been off since the 80's it may be rusted tight...... Penetrating oil, heat and letting it soak go a long way. A really BIG heavy duty puller goes the rest of the way.... The hot setup seemed to be a hydraulic puller, but several guys got them off with a heavy "Armstrong" puller and a cheater bar..... One guy ended up working with his for a couple weeks before if finally let go - alternating pulling, soaking, and heat cycles.

Mind you, I have never done this yet - just what I remember reading on a forum somewhere.... Good luck.

#3 axel waldkirch OFFLINE  

axel waldkirch
  • Member No: 59180
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Read the same stuff, bottom line is that this project seems to be a b*tch!!! Was wondering if anyone had tried to pull the axle out and then press the hub off with a hydraulic press. My real question is how bad of a job is the axle removal? By the way the 1 puller we used was heavy duty-- use to be used for Plymouth truck!

In any case go my 318 today and got to play with it all afternoon-great fun1