#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 07:23 AM

I'll bet is anything the PO was trying to save money and switched out the drive pulley so he could use a off the shelf cheap drive belt, people are very short sighted like that sometimes, i see it all the time on tractors using cross drives.

Hopefully i am right and the original pulley is in there and undamaged, one can only hope :wallbanging: don't forget to grease the deck spindles, nipples are underneath on the bearing holders, middle one is a PIA to reach, even on a ramp.

I hope the grass is not too tall, the deck only goes up so high before the cross drive belt rubs on the deck hanger bar, if the original mule pulley is there then the smaller drive pulley for the sickle mower can be used, the deck does not spin as fast or throws as far but it still cuts ok and the engine is not working it's butt off in thick grass, i did that up in the corral until it was under control, the cheap 14 hp vertical shaft Craftsmen rider kept clogging and had TINY B@LLS when compared with the Squire 9's cast iron thumper :thumbs:

• Bill56 said thank you

#17 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Well, there's good news...  I got bushings installed in the rollers. I just bought steel ones. With a bit of greasing, they'll have to do until I can afford something better.

Bad news... I realized, after looking at the roller assembly diagram, that I'm actually missing a roller! I had to buy a new 5/8 shaft, as the old one was 50% gone, Glad I bought a 36'' length so they'll be enough to mount the roller I didn't know was supposed to be there. Apparently the axle rod had broke at one time?? Guess I'll have to see about "borrowing" a roller from another one of my mower decks.

More good and bad news... I found the original spindle pulley. Bad news... It's center is worn and no sign of the original mule pulley. Going to attempt to finish the roller set up and try mowing a bit.... maybe.

• trowel said thank you

#18 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 07:35 AM

I got the roller installation finished, deck back on, and tried out the "new" mower. Cross drive belt slipped a bit in the taller grass, but I expected that. Had to go over some areas twice. Not necessarily a bad thing, since I got to spend more time in the seat! Ran out of time and energy so I didn't get a chance to work on the PTO belt guard or belt stop yet. A few more bugs to work on, but seemed to work pretty good. One thing I was really happy for was the lack of any exhaust smoke... None whatsoever!  :dancingbanana:

• trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 04:59 AM

I got the roller installation finished, deck back on, and tried out the "new" mower. Cross drive belt slipped a bit in the taller grass, but I expected that. Had to go over some areas twice. Not necessarily a bad thing, since I got to spend more time in the seat! Ran out of time and energy so I didn't get a chance to work on the PTO belt guard or belt stop yet. A few more bugs to work on, but seemed to work pretty good. One thing I was really happy for was the lack of any exhaust smoke... None whatsoever!  :dancingbanana:

Good to hear of it Bill, sucking burn oil hurts.

As a mower, good weight, strong engine, wide deck, throws clippings far,....do you like it ?

• Bill56 said thank you

#20 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Good to hear of it Bill, sucking burn oil hurts.

As a mower, good weight, strong engine, wide deck, throws clippings far,....do you like it ?

I am impressed at how this mower scattered the clippings. Grass was pretty tall and normally I would have had to do some raking. One reason I chose to "revitalize" this tractor is it came with the mounted vacuum and a trailer. It would be nice to use that for leaf pick-up, this Fall. Hoping I can make that happen, but it's going to take some time and $$, so I don't know. It'll need some new hose and a top made for the trailer. Also have the tiller and snow blower attachments to "play with" too... someday. :smilewink: 

I did notice that the tractor seemed to have a bit of "slop" in the drive when negotiating inclines. Things seem to be tight from gearbox to engine, so I'm guessing there's play in the transaxle. Anyone have some suggestions about that? 

• trowel said thank you

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 04:06 PM

I figured as much, you, me and others are impressed with the Landlords as mowers, with the rollers it leaves nice markings and the deck is so deep it is not so apt to clog, wide discharge and sucks like a vacume.

I have used several different mowers for the 60's and the Landlord mows the best.

Both of mines has the slop also, the Squire 9 is more then the Allis but that is because i used the same gears when i rebuilt the BGB, the Allis is tight but between the tranny and diff there is some slop, lots of gears moving around.

• Bill56 said thank you

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Bill,

When you start on the leaf sucker be sure to throw up some pics if you could, would love to see that in action.

• Bill56 said thank you

#23 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Bill,

When you start on the leaf sucker be sure to throw up some pics if you could, would love to see that in action.

Really hoping to make that happen... both the pictures and getting started on it. :rocker2:

• trowel said thank you

#24 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 12:19 PM

I did notice that the tractor seemed to have a bit of "slop" in the drive when negotiating inclines. Things seem to be tight from gearbox to engine, so I'm guessing there's play in the transaxle. Anyone have some suggestions about that? 

Bill, when you say 'slop' on inclines, are you saying you notice a slip, or loss of ground speed (moreso than from bogging from a loaded engine on the governor)?  There will be a bit of slop in the gears of the various drive components but none should slip.  The clutch can slip, however, and they are designed to, to a certain extent.  They will slip excessively if worn or lubed.

I mow slopes at my place, and need to keep my clutches dry and tight, or as the clutch and belt heats from slipping, I get less and less power to the wheels and eventually cannot climb an incline.  The trade off to this is loss of protection to the BGB, crank, etc.

• Bill56 said thank you

#25 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Bill, when you say 'slop' on inclines, are you saying you notice a slip, or loss of ground speed (moreso than from bogging from a loaded engine on the governor)?  There will be a bit of slop in the gears of the various drive components but none should slip.  The clutch can slip, however, and they are designed to, to a certain extent.  They will slip excessively if worn or lubed.

I mow slopes at my place, and need to keep my clutches dry and tight, or as the clutch and belt heats from slipping, I get less and less power to the wheels and eventually cannot climb an incline.  The trade off to this is loss of protection to the BGB, crank, etc.

There's no change in engine speed when this happens. I noticed it when going through a ditch (mild, short inclines). Going into the incline (down) it feels like the tractor free wheels ahead for a couple seconds. Then at the bottom it slows before continuing up. Doesn't really feel like a belt slip, and I wouldn't say it was anything drastic either. Just seemed to be a little more than I'm used to on my old Sears. I'm guessing it's just the normal slack in the gears??

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#26 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 04:23 AM

I gotcha...sounds pretty normal
  • Bill56 said thank you

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:22 AM

Before i forget again,..... the right wheel hub has two bolts screwing into the axle at 30 % angles, loosen them and retorque to 10 lb each, this gives you good limited slip with out the grab when turning, check it at least once a month, this is another feature i really like about the Landlords with the tight steering radius, even up hills it making a hard turn it usually does not spin out.

• Bill56 said thank you

#28 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Trowel. I remember reading about the limited-slip axle bolts, but haven't gotten around to checking them yet. 

• trowel said thank you