27 replies to this topic

#1 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:05 PM

Took my first ride on the 101 today. :dancingbanana:          Ran pretty good, but after running the Sears SS-14 for 43 years, it was a whole new ballgame!! First problem was learning how to get on this critter. Without the mower deck,  there's no step, so ya gotta figure out how close to stand so your leg gets over the seat and fenders. (Old person problem) :D  Then, going around that first corner, you come to realize that it does make somewhat of a difference when 1/3 of the steering wheel is not there!! I didn't have a lot of fuel, so the ride wasn't real long, but I sure enjoyed it! 

Next step is to get the mower deck mounted. The PTO adjustment rod was bent. Straightened and adjusted that. Idler pulley  was a bit "gummy" but a little cleaning and lube seemed to cure that problem. I didn't have enough time to attach the mower, but I did engage the PTO and found that the belt would not stop running. Looked up the manual (many thanks to GT-Talk members) and realized that I am missing the belt guard and belt stop. If someone could post a photo of these two parts, with some measurements, I would greatly appreciate it. The belt stop should be pretty simple, since it's basically a bent piece of rod. The guard may be a bit more tricky, but I could probably manage to fabricate something close. All in all it was a good day. Wasn't able to work for too long ( about two hours,) but learned quite a bit about "Simplicity fixing" today. Oh, one other thing...  I noticed that things were a bit "fuzzy" around the engine area. After blowing with an air gun from all different directions, for several minutes, I had quite a pile on the floor. Guess them little four legged critters decide my seat had too much stuffing :wallbanging:

• Alc, sacsr, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:42 PM

Sounds like a good day!

Where are the pictures?!

Ben W.

• Bill56 and trowel have said thanks

#3 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 11:39 PM

Congrats on you maiden voyage, :thumbs:  felt pretty good, ah?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:23 AM

Sounds like you are making progress on it. Mice can make a real mess. I'm glad they haven't decided to chew on the GT seats here. 

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 05:31 AM

Sounds like you are making progress on it. Mice can make a real mess. I'm glad they haven't decided to chew on the GT seats here. 

Don't type that too loud, they may have heard you !

When i get some time and if someone does not up load it by then i'll see about putting up a pic or two for you to view.

• Bill56 said thank you

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 06:07 AM

Sounds like a good day!

Where are the pictures?!

Ben W.

Sorry Ben. I am camera lost at the moment. Have a tablet with photo capability, but haven't learned the photo to computer transfer thing yet... hate my computer ignorance :wallbanging:

• superaben said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Sorry Ben. I am camera lost at the moment. Have a tablet with photo capability, but haven't learned the photo to computer transfer thing yet... hate my computer ignorance :wallbanging:

Maybe one of the folks with a tablet will tutor you.

• Bill56 said thank you

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Congrats!  What a wonderful feeling it is, to get an old GT back into the motorpool!  Joy rides are just that...a joy.  Glad to hear of your good fortune.

• Bill56 said thank you

#9 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 06:43 AM

I'm still trying to learn how to remove pictures from my Dumb phone. Yes I really mean dumb phone can take pictures, and can talk to people on it. It is so dumb it didn't even come with a owners manual.

:D    Al

• Bill56 said thank you

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Got the mower deck mounted yesterday. Changed engine oil and checked trans and gearbox levels. Trans was somewhat low. Axle seals look a bit "weepy", so they'll probably need replacing at some point in time. I mowed for just a few minutes. Seemed to mow okay, until I went into some taller grass, then the belt from the PTO to the deck slipped a bit. I think the belt length is ok, but I the width may be wrong. Should be a 1/2 inch belt... is that correct?  Also, the deck rollers are worn pretty bad. Going to have to see about fixing those too.

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 04:28 PM

Bill,

The cross drive belt is 1/2 '' and of an odd size, any other belt will wear out within hours, a lot of GTs in the 60's used cross driven belts so i know, save your self the troubles and order that belt OEM from Simplicity.

108099 converts to 108099SM _ Cross drive

You don't have to but If you want to replace the deck belt with OEM too.

108209_Spindle drive

• Bill56, IamSherwood and sacsr have said thanks

#12 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Thanks, Trowel. I'll get the OEM belt soon. I'm guessing that may also be part of the cause of the gearbox/PTO belt not wanting to disengage. Going to be busy, so probably won't get to do any GT work for a few days or give any updates.

• trowel said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:48 PM

Thanks, Trowel. I'll get the OEM belt soon. I'm guessing that may also be part of the cause of the gearbox/PTO belt not wanting to disengage. Going to be busy, so probably won't get to do any GT work for a few days or give any updates.

Your welcome, we will be here.

BGB to mule drive (mid-mount PTO) is 1/2 x 35, kevlar coated belt would be fine, you should have the tension spring lever for the mule drive under the left axle (sitting on tractor looking down) disengage it by pushing it forwards towards the front when putting on the cross drive belt then re engage for spring tension by pulling back under the axle. Sometimes is does not want to stay engages, tighten the pivot bolt to hold it in place.

You made have to adjust the spring tension on the idler clutch pulley for the mule drive also, little square head bolt hold the spring, loosen it, slide the clutch rod up and down in the bracket for more or less tension on the idler pulley, ideally it should be 2 1/2'' or less when compressed against the mule drive belt.

The rollers can be bushed if you want to instead of replacing, i plan on doing that to my Squire 9, bore it for a steel/bronze tubing or just bronze bushings on the ends of the rollers, then straighten the roller rod.

• Bill56 said thank you

#14 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, again, Trowel. Glad you made the suggestion about putting bushings in the rollers... It's what I was thinking about trying and was wondering if anyone had done that. The roller rod is bent pretty bad. So I'll give that a straightening too. At least these are fairly simple repairs to make. Having lots of fun learning about this " new to me" tractor!!

• trowel said thank you

#15 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 06:59 AM

Going to try my hand at not getting frustrated and do some more Simplicity "fixing" today. Mainly work on some bushings for the worn mower deck rollers and try to fabricate a belt guard and belt stop for the PTO. Also have discovered the P.O. had changed the mower cross drive pulley and the two groove pulley on the PTO... the wrong size of course! Their diameters may be correct but the pulley width is too wide. I recieved a box full of belts and a few parts with this mower. Have to do some digging and see if the original pulleys may be in there... which may not do any good, because I'm guessing they were changed out because of wear/damage. I desperately need to get a mower in working condition, so keep your fingers crossed!

• trowel said thank you