• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Water causes problems by boiling at a much lower temp than brake fluid, while water won't compress, it will boil becoming gas and expanding.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#62 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:48 AM

Just an update. Since removing the ABS fuse, the truck seems to be doing much better. I'm not having the brake stick near as much as it did, and when I do, it's not near as bad it was. When they do start to drag a little, I don't have hardly any shimmy like it was doing. However, I noticed that when it does shimmy, it seems to be coming from the rear, as I feel the shimmy the most in the seats and not the steering wheel. I think I'm going to take the back drum brakes off and inspect them to see if I can see anything. One of my neighbors told me to drive slowly and while pulling the emergency release handle out, try pushing down on the emergency brake to see how well the brakes do, or to see if I can feel the shimmy again. He thought the back brakes might not be working properly, and causing the front brakes to work that much harder. Still doesn't explain the brake sticking, but at this point, I'm game for any and all suggestions or advice. I will give this a try later on in the week when I have a little more time to puts around with it. I'll keep you posted on the results. 

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#63 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Well today it was a hot day, and like clock work, the brakes started to stick again on the way home. Not bad, but enough for me to stop at another local garage to see what he thought. Of course the brakes stopped sticking or dragging about a mile and a half before the garage, but I stopped anyway. After I introduced myself and explained my situation, he asked if the brakes are doing it now. I told him no, so he told me to drive around again until they drag again.

Needless to say I didn't have to drive far. Maybe went a mile if that. Anyhow, I arrived back to the garage and put the truck in neutral. He asked if the brakes are dragging again, and I quickly told him that the truck is currently in neutral and it's not rolling. He put the truck on the rack and tried to spin the front wheels with no luck. Neither one of the front wheels would spin, even with both of us trying together. He then verified that the brake hoses, calipers, and brake pads were replaced as stated by the other mechanic. I told him the rotors were replaced twice as well, and he practically laughed at me, and asked "Seriously"? 

He hooked up the computer to bleed the lines and to check the ABS system. He went through the entire process three times, and everything checked out fine without any codes thrown. Not only did the ABS check out to be alright, but so did the master cylinder and power booster. All lines looked good with no crimping or corrosion. He eventually just told me to take it to a GM dealer and have them check it out. He agrees that there is something wrong, but for all of the years that he's been in business, he never had a problem like this before. I am however, to keep him posted on the diagnosis of the cause, so that he knows what to look for if another GM pickup rolls in with the same simptoms. I told him I would and asked him how much I owed him and he quickly told me nothing, just bring me your business. He kept telling me over and over again about how bad he felt because he couldn't diagnose the problem for me. 

So there is your latest update. Once things slow down at work a little, I'll make an appointment at the local GM dealership and see what they come up with. If it does came back as a GM problem, then I'm going to let them know real quick like, that I'm not putting out anymore money for this problem!  :mad2:

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 24, 2014 - 08:53 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#64 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 06:32 PM

Good to see an honest mechanic out there.

#65 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 06:39 PM

If you have not done a complete purge and refill of the fluid, I would urge you to do so, as I said before.

#66 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Have you had a chance to get this further looked at?

#67 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:58 AM

My son's 2003 Silverado and his wife's 2001 Yukon both had similar problems and on both vehicles he was told there is a brake control module under the trucks that were going bad.  He pulled the fuses for the anti-lock brakes and both are working fine.

#68 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 12:27 PM

You aren't too terribly far from New Holland. Take it over to Turners, which is the GM dealer there. Greatest people to deal  with, they replaced the sparkplugs in my dad's truck at no charge. Whether they'd do the same for you is hard to say, but it wouldn't hurt. 

• Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#69 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 12:39 PM

I haven't done anything to the truck lately, as I've been swamped at work and just haven't found the time to investigate deeper. Since the weather hasn't been hot the past few weeks, the brakes haven't been sticking. Once things slow down at work, I think I'm just going to make an appointment at a GM Dealership and let them figure it out. I realize it will cost me money, but I like the truck too much to get rid of it.

• MH81, EricR and toppop52 have said thanks

#70 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 09:36 PM

ya know what?  I didn't realize this originally, just looked back. there was talk about adjusting rear drum brakes earlier on to try and get more pedal which mad sense at the time; BUT by then all GM full sized trucks had DISC brakes all around;  with separate cable (only) operated drums within the rotors that ONLY serve as the E-brake, do nothing with the "regular" brakes; so the talk of adjusting the star wheel to gain pedal height which IS a common reason that anything with drum brakes "may" have a low pedal with 4 wheel disc this will NOT happen. Disc brakes are inherently self adjusting.  BUT I would be rreal interested to see if the slides in back for the calipers may be seized not allowing the caliper to "float"  This I have seen cause a low pedal and often the inner pad to wear out while the outer pad doesn't//  or they wear at an angle

#71 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I'm not sure what Troy has on the back but ALL GM trucks are not disc on the rear. In the early 2000s they seemed to be in the majority but the newer ones I'm seeing are coming with drums. Maybe they realized the rear disc set up was a looser.

#72 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Both the 2012 Silverado and the 2013 I got when I turned the 2012 in under the lemon law have drums in the back.

#73 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 07:57 PM

I just kind of perused the posts and figured I would throw my .02 here. I own a 02 Silverado and an 03 suburban. Both share brake systems front and rear. Disc all the way around. I've owned the truck since new and the suburban about 2 years. I also manage the brakes on 7 other friends and families Gm trucks and SUV. All pretty much share the same system. Aside from the Abs issue which I've not seen in any of these (not saying its not a problem, I've read all about it). The number one cause I've seen with brakes dragging are the lack of proper grease and not replacing the metal slide clips both used on the front and rear. The pads ride in a bracket that also retains the rotor. The caliper simply just appplies pressure. If these clips and pads are not properly replaced (with every pad change) or greased, it will cause a major sticking problem. Some higher dollar pad kits come with them but usually most shops will get standard metallic pads which do not include them. Also the caliper bolts always seem to get neglected but most times its these clips. They are easily over looked. When the dust settles on these and heats up with constant frction they loose their smooth surface. They also need to be greased so they will last. If someone has already mentioned this, I'm sorry. Its late and I didn't read every post word for word.

Eric
  • MH81 said thank you

#74 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Any shop that replaces ceramic OE pads with semi metallics is asking for liable.

• MH81 said thank you