#1 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 11:11 AM

I picked up a 1950's error Clinton motor with generator. Finally got the motor purring nicely with a carb rebuild, new valve springs, and a points cleaning. Now onto the generator. It's suppose to give me 115 volt and I read 5 vac on my meter. Any ideas?

SANY0189.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• SANY0187.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 11:18 AM

If all is right with the generator, then it likely needs "flashing", and no, don't expose yourself to the thing!:rofl2: If you have an older drill that is NOT variable speed NOR reversible, simply have generator running, plug the old single speed drill into the AC receptacle, then grip the chuck & spin the drill backwards. This turns the drill into a generator of sorts, & "flashes" the generator so that it can produce AC. If this works, the drill will take off in normal direction, so be ready to let go.
Hope this gets you going. When these older generators sit unused for long periods, they lose their excitation & have top be re-flashed.
  • MH81, caseguy and Rickski have said thanks

#3 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 08:12 PM

I don't have a non variable speed drill. Will and electric motor work?

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 08:45 PM

When these older generators sit unused for long periods, they lose their excitation & have top be re-flashed.

That happens to other other equipment too. I think I might need to be re-flashed. LOL :rolling:

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 09:19 PM

It has to be a brush type motor. A old drill is about the only safe tool to use, as most any other could get you hurt. If you can determine which side of the outlet is neutral, then you can flash it with 12VDC...+to +, and - to -, but just for an instant. If it works & starts pumping AC, anything other than a split second flashing would run AC into your 12V battery, and I doubt that would be a good thing.

#6 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 07:53 PM

If all is right with the generator, then it likely needs "flashing", and no, don't expose yourself to the thing!:rofl2: If you have an older drill that is NOT variable speed NOR reversible, simply have generator running, plug the old single speed drill into the AC receptacle, then grip the chuck & spin the drill backwards. This turns the drill into a generator of sorts, & "flashes" the generator so that it can produce AC. If this works, the drill will take off in normal direction, so be ready to let go.
Hope this gets you going. When these older generators sit unused for long periods, they lose their excitation & have top be re-flashed.

You are a genius. I now have a 1950's vintage generator that is powered by a sweet Clinton model 1600. I had a 1500 watt heater and a 4 1/2 grinder running off it and she barely skipped a beat. THANKS..:thumbs:

#7 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:29 PM

If you start charging for your advice Daniel we won't be able to afford your services on the site. Your wealth of information is wonderful and is always greatly appreciated.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 09:07 PM

GREAT to hear the generator is up & running! :thumbs: And I'm happy to help. The only reason I can help with stuff is because all my stuff breaks, and I'm either too cheap or broke to hire anything fixed.....so I learn how to repair my own stuff. Plus I love challenges. You'd think I'd have enough challenges farming for a living with all that breaks, but this kind of thing like the generator, and all my GT stuff is great mental therapy for what farming does to my brain.
And Lincoln Corporation is truly the one to thank, as I spoke on the phone to a super service guy years ago, and he taught me how to flash them, as I was rebuilding an old Lincoln Weldanpower generator/welder.
BTW....I won't charge for info, but I will accept tips! :rofl2: Thanks Rick for updating us!