11 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:19 PM

It's raining again and I didn't have anything to do, So I didn't.

Except I cleaned the garage and arranged all my wrenches so I can find them.  And I got tired of random drill bits laying about in the tool box and fastener container, so I built a box to throw them in.  

While I was doing that the table saw kicked a bit of plywood back into my belly and hip bone.  It was hard enough that I saw stars.  Took the better part of two beer before I felt right.

Then I fixed the compressor.  Nothing big...just a drain-cock...but as humid as it's been, I really wanted to get the moisture out.

After that I put a new wire brush on my bench grinder.  Been meaning to do this for weeks, but I never quite got around to it.

So then I was out of things to do.  I wandered out in the drizzle and looked at the garden.  I finally have peas, or at least pods that will become peas when they grow up.  The pumpkins are suffering from too much water, which I've never seen in a pumpkin before.  The Amish Deer Tongue lettuce (yes, I did plant it just because of the name, but it's really good on burgers) has gone wild.

Also, a deer tried to tackle the fence last night, so I had to get out the tractor and a chain and pull the post back, then whack it into relative solidity with a sledge hammer and shovel some limestone into the leftover gap.

Now I'm tired of doing nothing, so I came back in the house. 

• MH81, hamman, tinbender7 and 12 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Sometimes doing nothing is hard work :D

• Reverend Blair and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:09 PM

For not doing anything today, you sure got a lot done!

• Reverend Blair said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Send the rain up here. With the sandy soil, we can handle 3 inches a week. All summer long. The pumpkin stems had to be wrapped around the river birch and sent back, they're 15' out of their raised bed and show no signs of following my wife's instructions.

It's good to hear you have lettuce, my wife used the three tier cedar planter boxes for hers. The three tiers are labeled buck, doe, and fawn. I got in some warm water writing that on there, btw.

I pulled our peas, they dried up. Green beans by Tuesday or Wednesday, though. Kale is almost large to start picking, and the onion shallots are next.

Yesterday morning there was a doe coming across the road when I went out at 4 am. It kept coming across when I opened the door, so I grabbed the 454 in cause it was rabid. It ran back when I came out the second time. I was nervous, I thought I was going to have to use the gun or my MH81 'Hey, Bear!' voice.
  • MH81, Reverend Blair, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Sometimes a goof off day is the best medicine. Tom
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,761 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Not doing anything gets more stuff done than actually working at times.

• Reverend Blair and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 09:07 PM

Sometimes being lazy and relaxing can be exhausting. Also, I've found accidental work can be more strenuous than intentional..
  • Reverend Blair, oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 05:35 AM

Sounds like a lot was accomplished on a rainy day! 

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I ended up cleaning out my attached garage sunday.  Threw a bit of a fit because no one puts anything back where it belongs.  I built a shelf for my wife to put the kid's toys back on, of course they were scattered all over the garage and I had to move a bunch of stuff before I could even get to my table saw to cut some wood up for a little project.

I ended up cutting the wood, then getting bitter and cleaned the entire garage, and moved all the toys and the shelf into the basement.  Told them if any toys are on the garage floor they will be thrown away or driven over. 

Oddly I found a hospital tag under the stairs from the original owner of the house.  He was born 2/27/1918!  I pondered for a bit how much history he had seen, and how he most likely watched his father build the house in 1923.  Pretty interesting. 

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:11 PM

I love old stuff like that.  We've found a lot of newspapers in the walls and floors while renovating.  We always put the modern paper in the same place before the rebuild.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 06:01 PM

I do too. I have lost a whole days work because of finding something neat in a wall or under a floor.

I bought an egg crate once that was pretty old. In it was a news paper from 1932. I carefully pulled it all out and read it. Neat stuff in there.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#12 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,871 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 02:04 AM

Back in the day we tore down old buildings to get the lumber--- found many neat things including a medal from the Battle of Delhi in the eighteen hundreds!

• MH81 said thank you