6 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 04:56 PM

Today I picked up two Sears chainsaws, a UD4 model and a UG4 model. I remember seeing these listed back in the fall/winter of last year and figured they had sold after the ad disappeared. Well they were relisted again yesterday and I decided to go look at them. After talking to the owner for over an hour about the saws, old tractors and various shows I decided to buy them. He told me that the UG4 has been in his family since his grandfather bought it new and he picked the UD4 for up many years ago. The UG4 turned over with good compression but the UD4 was seized. I ended up paying $80 for the pair which I feel was ok but it might have been a little high, let me know what you think.

After I got them home I decided to start checking out the UG4 first. Right now it doesn't run due to no spark and the recoil spring will need to be replaced. As I was working on the saw and moving it around I noticed a hole in the bottom of the gear housing cover. It seems that years of sitting caused the aluminum to corrode in that small area pretty bad. Luckily inside of the gear housing is in good shape and I think I can fix the cover with some JB Weld.

Next I moved onto the UD4. First I pulled the recoil off to check if it was seized. It wasn't but after pull the rope twice the recoil spring gave up on it too :wallbanging: . I started to try to rock the flywheel back and forth with my hand and the engine freed up. It turns out that the engine was just lightly stuck from sitting. I got very lucky there. I also tried to start it but just like the UG4 it has no spark too. After neither would start I called it a day and headed inside before the rain came.

A couple of random interesting facts. First G means gear drive chain and D means direct drive chain. Due to the two different drive systems the engines run in opposite rotations in order for the chains to move in the same direction. Also look at the massive size of that drive sprocket. Sears wasn't messing around lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2484.JPG
  • 100_2485.JPG
  • 100_2486.JPG
  • 100_2489.JPG
  • 100_2490.JPG
  • 100_2491.JPG
  • 100_2493.JPG
  • 100_2494.JPG
  • 100_2496.JPG
  • 100_2496.JPG
  • 100_2497.JPG
  • 100_2498.JPG
  • 100_2499.JPG
  • 100_2500.JPG

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Couple of nice looking saws. Bet they would make a man out of you if you ran one all day.
  • Trav1s, HDWildBill, farmerall and 1 other said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Couple of nice looking saws. Bet they would make a man out of you if you ran one all day.

Heh, those are the little ones, you should see my David Bradley gear drive :rocker2:  2 hours later and i have a new found respect for the old loggers, by the end of the day i was reaching for the lighter Stihl.

The U series is a very popular model, sears continued that model until the late 60's early 70's with slight changes ad was replaced with the already gaining popularity more compact and lighter Craftsmen direct drive saw, the U series gear drive is well know for being able to fell hardwood using the 20 '' bar with 3/8 and bigger teeth, it is not a fast cutter being gear reduced and the engine only spins at 7 to 8 grand but with the cast iron liner and beefy nettle bearing on the rod it will go all day.

Mix high grade gas with non detergent 30 oil, 30 to 1 ratio, hand held blitz fogger bug killer that never stops smoking.

The David Bradley's most reconized saw the 360 is were the design of the UG series came from and was a hand held monster able to pull 1/2 putch teeth around 36 '' bar, some 40'' two handle ones where made at the time for Canada and Oragon areas, my blue gear drive DB saw has the Power products AH75 two smoker with the 20 '' bar, 1/2 '' chain, i live deep in the county, my friend who lives 1/8 of a mile from me heard me run the saw, said it gave him chills to hear it scream.

Now granted yours only had the AH47 but there is no muffler to call for, only defector pipe so wear ear plugs or your ears will pop ! ask me how i know !!

Yours being the later Sears both saws should have the Techumseh Power Products double pumper carbs, be careful as to the crank case as you see the aluminum decays, the flywheel sometimes crack from overtightening.

The points in those are the same for the H35 Techumsehs.

Edited by trowel, July 13, 2014 - 07:31 PM.

• MH81, HDWildBill, farmerall and 1 other said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:36 PM

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and farmerall have said thanks

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Those are more saw that I could ever dream of using.  Good score in my book!

#6 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 05:08 PM

I have 2 db 360s one is for parts though, nice saws.

#7 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Just a quick update on one of the saws. I managed to get the gear drive one to fire on carb cleaner after cleaning the points. Now I need to buy a carb kit and I should be able to get it running on gas.

• Alc said thank you