Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Another A/c Big Ten Just Rolled Into The Yard.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:28 AM

The rubber couplings on the drive shaft look to be in real good shape from what I can see. I'll leave them in place unless they give me problems. I picked up a couple of new fiberglass ones on ebay, so I have those and spacers if I need em'
I'll check those numbers on the engine Dave and see if the motor has been swapped out. I've been wondering about those chrome air cleaners. Here's a couple of pics of a supposedly original early B10 that recently sold on ebay. It has the chrome air cleaner, but may also have been changed out at some point.

Attached Thumbnails

• $_3-38.jpeg
  • $_3-52.jpeg

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,805 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 05:04 AM

Well, I have three Big Tens, a B1, and a 64' Simplicity Landlord. I'm pulling the engine on this Big Ten to clean the flywheel and possibly replace the coil if needed. It's a bit ugly right now, but I'm going to just clean it up, replace a few things, and use it. Some of the paint is still in good shape under the grunge. If it smokes I'll freshen up the engine.

Can you get a new magneto for the 243341 engine? Thought that they were no longer available.

• classic said thank you

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:41 AM

None of the early Simplicity Landlords with the 19D, 23D and 24 engines never had the chrome air cleaner cover, just the larger black ones, the chrome ones came from the much later IC engines, people do add those for looks and sell, remember, most Americans are flattered by shiny things.

The rubber couplings on the drive shaft look to be in real good shape from what I can see. I'll leave them in place unless they give me problems. I picked up a couple of new fiberglass ones on ebay, so I have those and spacers if I need em'
I'll check those numbers on the engine Dave and see if the motor has been swapped out. I've been wondering about those chrome air cleaners. Here's a couple of pics of a supposedly original early B10 that recently sold on ebay. It has the chrome air cleaner, but may also have been changed out at some point.

Yes, new coils can be had for the 24 engine, the same coil was reused for several other engines into the 70's, model numbers elude me right now.

Can you get a new magneto for the 243341 engine? Thought that they were no longer available.

• classic said thank you

#19 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 09:02 AM

Well the numbers on the flywheel shroud are;
Model 243431
Type 0123-02
Serial 6511191
It looks to be a 1965 10HP Briggs. Hopefully I can get the engine running today.
  • trowel said thank you

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 11:58 AM

Best of luck, hard to kill those old briggs.

#21 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Well I took the engine off of the tractor and removed the flywheel shroud.The solid coil wire that goes to the points was broken and the coil itself had a crack in the side of it. I replaced the coil and the wire going to the points and the wire going to the points cover. I now have a crispy blue spark when turning the engine over by hand. Now I have to reinstall the engine, clean the carb, and change out the gas tank and fuel line. Should I remove these acorns, leaves, and pine needles or will I ruin the patina?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140714_171307-1.jpg
  • 20140714_172309-1.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#22 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:30 PM

Should I remove these acorns, leaves, and pine needles or will I ruin the patina?

Don't remove them! Like you said don't ruin the patina! If I was you I would put some more in before reinstalling the engine just to be safe in case some fell off.

• trowel and classic have said thanks

#23 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:58 PM

The B12s all had chrome air cleaner covers

#24 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:43 PM

The B12s all had chrome air cleaner covers

I never said B-12, different engine then the 24.

#25 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:43 PM

Ha!I had to move the pine needles and acorns to bolt the motor down, sorry. Anyway, IT'S ALIVE!! I just adjusted the carb "what a pain", but it runs great! I took it for a ride and everything works. I have to change out the front wheel bearings tomorrow since the seals are gone. Axle tube seals and fresh gear oil will be the next project for this weekend. Can't wait to cut some grass with this thing!
  • trowel said thank you

#26 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Well I took the engine off of the tractor and removed the flywheel shroud.The solid coil wire that goes to the points was broken and the coil itself had a crack in the side of it. I replaced the coil and the wire going to the points and the wire going to the points cover. I now have a crispy blue spark when turning the engine over by hand. Now I have to reinstall the engine, clean the carb, and change out the gas tank and fuel line. Should I remove these acorns, leaves, and pine needles or will I ruin the patina?

LOL, mines was full of stuff too, few bolts, washers and nuts too, took a pressure washer and lots of scraping to get it all out.

• classic said thank you

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Ha!I had to move the pine needles and acorns to bolt the motor down, sorry. Anyway, IT'S ALIVE!! I just adjusted the carb "what a pain", but it runs great! I took it for a ride and everything works. I have to change out the front wheel bearings tomorrow since the seals are gone. Axle tube seals and fresh gear oil will be the next project for this weekend. Can't wait to cut some grass with this thing!

Sweet, glad to hear of it.

They mow very good, i mean really good so long as you don't let the grass get too take.

The left had discharge had me change how i mow the yard, after a while i got use to it and remember to put the cross drive off the mule drive on right or it will spin the blades backwards,..Lol, ask me how i know !

• classic said thank you