wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:37 PM

A few weeks ago I fried the starter on the Caterpillar, which has a Briggs opposed twin on it. So I have a parts engine and thought I would change the starter and give the engine one last chance before I pull it and replace it. Went and looked at the parts engine and the starter bolts are UNDER the shroud... And one is BEHIND the flywheel. Does the engine really have to come half apart to replace the starter??

If so I have to pull the engine and if that happens it will not be going back on a third time.... It will be replaced. What a stupid design....

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, July 13, 2014 - 12:38 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 01:22 PM

Check in the Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 01:35 PM

I have successfully replaced a starter on these, You will need to remove the shrouds, and it requires using a flat open end wrench for the bolt under the flywheel, and you have to leave the bolt in the starter housing and remove the starter and bolt together.

• MH81, GTTinkerer and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#4 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 01:49 PM

I have successfully replaced a starter on these, You will need to remove the shrouds, and it requires using a flat open end wrench for the bolt under the flywheel, and you have to leave the bolt in the starter housing and remove the starter and bolt together.

Too add to this, there is also an indent in the bottom side of the flywheel that you will need to line up with the bolt under the flywheel. That little indent provides just enough room so you can get the bolt all the way out of the block.

• GTTinkerer, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Too add to this, there is also an indent in the bottom side of the flywheel that you will need to line up with the bolt under the flywheel. That little indent provides just enough room so you can get the bolt all the way out of the block.

:ditto:

Casey, don't throw out that Briggs opposed.  They are smooth old engines.  You won't find one now that will do what it can do and run as well. 

Ben W.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:35 PM

It isn't the running that bothers me, it is the lack of it ever wanting to start reliably. The starter frying was the last straw. Therefore it will be replaced since every time I have to do anything to the engine I have to pull it out of the tractor, take half of it apart to fix it, and I am sick of it...

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, July 13, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

• superaben said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:49 PM

It isn't the running that bothers me, it is the lack of it ever wanting to start reliably. The starter frying was the last straw. Therefore it will be replaced since every time I have to do anything to the engine I have to pull it out of the tractor, take half of it apart to fix it, and I am sick of it...

Ah, that makes a little more sense.

Do you have room for a twin?

Ben W.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I plan to stick a Wisconsin two cylinder in it. I don't know what model I am getting from a friend, but it is either the THD or TJD. So it could become very interesting lol.

#9 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 09:13 PM

Sometimes the cure is worse than the ailment. Retro fitting something in place of the original is sometimes a good idea, but often is done as a heart transplant when a couple of aspirin would have sufficed. Those old twins are not that hard to change a starter on, much easier than an Onan in most tractors, but I certainly wouldn't throw away a B48G just put in a different brand because I was frustrated.
The Wisconsons are great engines though, good luck with your swap.