• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 359 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 09:24 PM

I do not know what the wheel weights are for. My dad got them some place & I do not remember them being used on anything.

Wheel Weight 1.jpg

Wheel Weight 2.jpg

The center has some hard porcelain type material that chiseled some out for lug bolt clearance. I guesstimate that they weigh between 25 to 30 pounds. The opening that are exposed when mounted I have thought about pouring melted lead into some of them to add more weight to them. The rear wheels have also been filled with windshield fluid. I had this set up on the LGT 100 last winter for plowing snow. When I got this tractor it seemed to be the best idea to put them on it. 

Charlie

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#17 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 359 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 09:39 PM

This weekend I had both tractors together & checked some measurements on the frames. These measurements were done with all body parts still on so I was not able to check everything. The tube frame spacing in the front, rear, & a couple of places in the middle look to be very close to the same, so my guess would be that the tube frames on both Open Side & Closed Side are the same. the mounting of the seat pan / fenders look to be the same in the back part, but the mounting for the footrests is wider on the Closed Side tractor. These mounts are made to the rod that is part of the brake pedal / clutch pedal mounting so this could be an easy swap to make up for that difference. The tabs that support the side panels on the Closed Side would be needed to put on the Open Side for those panels & this looks to be a simple change. I will continue to look for differences between the two, but at this point I am seeing the conversion of the LGT 100 Gear Drive to Hydrostatic as a very good possibility.

Charlie

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • Member No: 43438
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 10:37 PM

MY open sided LGT 145 pulls well too.  I think I saw an advertisement stating the 145 had a limited slip rear end .

I have 60 lbs of steel right under the front axle to hold my front end down. (Ive got a lift on the back)

I have  a gate leaving my property that I have to turn right hard and go up a hill.  If I am pulling a heavy load it will lift the front end up before either wheel will slip.   It makes it hard because the tractor want to go straight an not turn because both wheels are hooking up. 

I pulled a big load of dirt up and out of the back of my yard with it .  I had a ton of tong weight on it and it lugged it right up.  When it started bogging I just let up on the speed peddle.   

Im mostly worried if I ever break the driveshaft coupler disk.  If it did that going down the hill under load it would be ride.  The brakes are not the most robust thing. 

C

• FixItCharlie said thank you

#19 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 359 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 09:53 AM

The tasks that can be accomplished with this tractor & that rear axle is impressive. The brakes on my tractor will lock both wheels, but learned this weekend that there is still a need for some adjustment as the parking brake will not hold the wheels. This is an easy adjustment to the operating rod back by the brake band. I know eventually I will need to do to this brake band what I have done to the brake band on the LGT 100 & that is glue some new friction material that is available from Granger to the band.

Charlie

#20 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 04:50 PM

MY open sided LGT 145 pulls well too.  I think I saw an advertisement stating the 145 had a limited slip rear end .

I have 60 lbs of steel right under the front axle to hold my front end down. (Ive got a lift on the back)

I have  a gate leaving my property that I have to turn right hard and go up a hill.  If I am pulling a heavy load it will lift the front end up before either wheel will slip.   It makes it hard because the tractor want to go straight an not turn because both wheels are hooking up. 

I pulled a big load of dirt up and out of the back of my yard with it .  I had a ton of tong weight on it and it lugged it right up.  When it started bogging I just let up on the speed peddle.   

Im mostly worried if I ever break the driveshaft coupler disk.  If it did that going down the hill under load it would be ride.  The brakes are not the most robust thing. 

C

You break the drive disk and you will stop right quick !
  • FixItCharlie said thank you