• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:29 PM

Last weekend finally got to try doing some work with my recently purchased LGT 145. What I was doing was filling a hole from a repair that I had done at my mom's place. I was pushing sand with the plow / dozer blade & what impressed me the most was the traction that this tractor gets. When I changed the fluid in the hydrostatic rear axle I had both rear wheels off the ground. When turning one wheel the other wheel would turn the opposite direction. This being like the open rear axles on cars I figured the wheel with the least amount of restriction / traction would spin. What I found was tractor is putting power to both rear wheels. I had the tractor in some lose sand where it sank in the height of tire side wall & still pulled its self out. A couple of times had only one rear wheel still on the ground & still kept moving. I am sure this traction must come from the hydraulic drives of this rear axle.

Now my wondering mind & this can be a dangerous thing is thinking about my LGT 100 which is a gear drive would be worth changing to a LGT 105. The gear drive axle is definitely an open rear axle. When one rear wheel loses traction it gets stuck & needs to be pushed / pulled out to get unstuck. I have another LGT frame with a Hydrostatic rear axle. The one big difference is this frame is for an open side LGT & the LGT 100 is a closed side. The open side frame has an welded in oil pan, which seems to hold more oil then the closed side. My LGT 145 takes 2 quarts with oil change where as the LGT 100 only takes about 1 & 1/2 quarts.

This conversion will not happen with in the next couple of years. I know that the 90 degree gear box on the LGT 100 will need to be rebuilt some time as the seals are starting to leak. I know removing this gear box is not easy, I learned this last year when the key sheared off on the driven shaft. This helped me convince the wife of the need for a second tractor.

Sorry for my rambling on but I thought sharing these ideas & getting others thoughts on it would be helpful if or when I may attempt it.

Charlie 

• tinbender7, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 01:25 PM

Pics? I have 3 open sided LGTs(120,125,&145). None are running yet but its nice to know about the traction. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7 and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 01:44 PM

I love my "BMP" Blue Money Pit. Here is my Daughter pulling some Cedar brush out.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Umgg0EM5-kw

Here we are digging holes in the yard :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=BBWQ5GvPLC8

Mowing the yard

https://www.youtube....h?v=iWZ0PLWLBIk

Moving a shed

https://www.youtube....h?v=O-ZVpneZ778

Yes, I am a proud owner of a LGT-145 !!!!!!

• boyscout862 and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#4 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 02:27 PM

I have 3 Ford GT's a 100, 165 LGT os , 165 LGT cs. The only time I came close to getting really stuck was I had a cart on the back with a grown man on it and it had rained bug time at our tractor show and the mud was deep. I have ag tires and it was spinning,but never stopped.That was fun

Attached Thumbnails

• Dokota.jpg
  • IMG_9368.JPG
  • 0426141340a.jpg

• boyscout862 and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#5 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 03:56 PM

The middle one sure looks like a closed side 145. Here is my before and after,

Attached Thumbnails

• BMP clean 1.JPG
  • BMP Start Left Side.jpg
  • Money Shot 2.JPG

Edited by larrybl, July 13, 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#6 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 04:22 PM

The middle one sure looks like a closed side 145. Here is my before and after,

the middle one is a closed side LGT 165

• FixItCharlie said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 04:54 PM

It could be that the rear end is a limited slip type. I find it helps to keep the tire pressure a bit low so the tire squats a bit. Weight is a lot of it. Those Fords are heavy tractors. 

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:55 AM

This is very common as the rear diff in the Peerless/Eaton 2500's are a planetary style not a bevel gear type like the Peerless standards are.
As for converting your 100 to hydro ... I would leave it open sided ! Way easier than trying to swap over as everything is very different frame to frame.

Edited by skyrydr2, July 14, 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#9 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:53 AM

Swapping the Peerless for a hydro would be a step down IMO, yes they will spin one tire in some situations.. but they can pull more weight overall if you maintain traction, hydros use up alot of hp compared to a gearbox, which also uses more fuel. If you took those two tractors to the Pulls you would find the 100 would easily out perform the 145.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#10 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Swapping the Peerless for a hydro would be a step down IMO, yes they will spin one tire in some situations.. but they can pull more weight overall if you maintain traction, hydros use up alot of hp compared to a gearbox, which also uses more fuel. If you took those two tractors to the Pulls you would find the 100 would easily out perform the 145.

I will have to completely disagree!!!!! The standard shift doesn't even come close, in traction or capacity!!!!! And as for power??? Let off the pedal if your dogging the engine. You cant infanately control a standard shift.
  • Rock farmer, TomLGT195 and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#11 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Well I have both here, two of each actually, the gearbox ones pull more any and everyday consistsntly using less rpm to do it.

#12 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:48 PM

I have not put them to a test, but I feel like my 100 gearbox out pulls the hydro LGT 165'S I have. I have tested them for top speed and 100 wins.

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 03:10 AM

Well we pull them for competition and the hydro will out pull the geared unit all day long on a dead load(stone boat) and in the stock class they had to put a speed limit on the class because it wasn't fair , the hydro's destroyed the gearbox units.
And I'll add this for your cause, if your hydro is whipped or has the wrong fluid in it, then maybe... Oh and you dont need ro run these hydros with the engine wound up tight to work them! I hardly ever run mine reved over 1/3 throttle except mowing, then i go to just over half.
Its smoother to operate, and goes faster at less throttle than the geared unit.
And if you think the drivetrain is more efficient ... Not . Only gear drive unit more efficient is a cub cadet or bushhog or power kings , just about any of the direct drive straight shafted units. The right angle gearbox to belt is wasting power. A Wheel horse or old sears is more efficient.
But Iwill say the geared units are ppossibly a bit faster at top speed? My 100 will outrun my diesel but not my 125 ?
The 125 will go 4 mph in low range and 7-8+ in high, not actually sure on that , never did clock it in high?
My 125 also has a fresh hydro unit in it as well, stealth quiet and will stall the engine if pushed to the max under competition conditions. It works insanely good!! The 165 is not quite as good... It howls when worked hard and is not quite as fast but it never has relieved out and can shut the diesel engine off as well.
So I think its all down to preference.
If you want gear drive your limited to HP unless you swap out an engine.. The hydro your limited to um....??? A steady slow crawl ? Maybe for tilling down hill? Or bottom plowing a 10 acre field with no stones or hard spots? Nah scratch the plowing as the lifting is manual, no hydraulics like the hydro has.

Edited by skyrydr2, July 15, 2014 - 03:47 AM.

• boyscout862, Rock farmer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#14 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 11:44 PM

Thank you every one for the replies & shared information. My thoughts at this time is that the LGT 100 will be used more for mowing & with this thought being able to change from forward to reverse with two pedals would be nice. Also adding the hydraulic lift for the mower deck would be a good feature. The LGT 145 would be used for other chores, but having both available for mowing if one is broke down is a reason I gave the other half for purchasing a second LGT. At this time the only thing that I have used a tractor for is snow removal my yard is not that big. In a few years when I retire I am moving to where I grew up & will have a little over 3 acres to take care of. The LGT 100 is there with the mower deck to be used there.

Tractor.JPG

I know that the closed side tractors are wider in the front end, but is this just the sheet metal used for the body & the mounting of these parts. In the future when I can get both frames side to compare the differences, such as the difference in the space between frame tubes.  

Ebay Purchase 1.jpg

I know the mounting for the rear axle is different but this does not look to be that difficult of a change if needed. I know that the dash mount with fuel tank & battery carrier but feel that until I have both frames side by side that this may not be all that difficult either.

I have used the spin on filter from this frame to do the change on the LGT 145 but have seen these parts reasonably priced on EBay. So I will study this more & post any finding that may result from this idea.

Charlie

Attached Thumbnails

• Trailer Hitch.jpg

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 06:36 AM

What have you got for weights on that 145? I like the idea of getting the frames side-by-side to compare. I have an extra closed side frame, but no open sides!