33 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:04 PM

I got myself a Versa-matic. I don't know much about it but it looks like a really neat piece. I was on a waiting list and the guy was a no show so I got to go have a look. It is 1954. I got it from the original owner along with all the paperwork. It has a 2.5HP B&S and it runs great. It appears to be mostly complete along with original pull rope. It has a ton of pulling power I am impressed at that.

There are a set of small tires that came with it, they have a keyed shaft bore not sure what they go to. It looks like the owner has painted it and touched it up over the years. I am thinking of disassembling it and repainting it. I could leave as is also since this is the way it came from the original owner.

I think the engine was painted yellow but the air filter looks original black with original decal still on it.  Should the engine be green? It appears to have the original spark plug in it too. I think the kill switch should be mounted on the handle bar not down below where it currently is. Tires are in perfect shape, not a single weather crack.  It was stored for lots of years in a basement and sprayed with some sort of oil to protect it. The rims are still full of factory calcium chloride. They have a rust spot on both rims that need some attention, maybe remove the calcium, sand blast the rims and use rim guard.

I wonder if attachments are the same for the ride-a-matic. The hitch points look very similar. I think this will be a nice project that won't need a lot of mechanical work. Here are a few pictures of it as is I have not cleaned it up yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09797.JPG
  • DSC09798.JPG
  • DSC09799.JPG
  • DSC09801.JPG
  • DSC09802.JPG
  • DSC09803.JPG
  • DSC09804.JPG
  • DSC09805.JPG
  • DSC09806.JPG
  • DSC09807.JPG
  • DSC09811.JPG

• wilberj, OldBuzzard, Littledeere and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:11 PM

That's a pretty nice one

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:15 PM

Nice Find!

This series was made 1954-1957

The entire machine has been repainted, you are correct the engine was green.

It appears to be a fast paint job as you can see the original paint coming through , if you scrape off the top layer it may give us a better Idea on the year as you can narrow it down by color sometimes.

looks to be well cared for with all straight sheet metal and even the belt guard which is often missing.

The snap hitch was the same design as the Ride-a-matics and SOME attachments will interchange.

• Husky said thank you

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Great find there.

• Husky said thank you

#5 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Thank you for the info DR Bolens. I can see the original versamatic decal under the paint. It was very well cared for and in overall great mechanical shape. He had the original owner manual as well as original snowcaster advertisement. On that advertisement in pen is 'list 355.00' and below that 'y p. 305.00' I have a feeling that he used it with a snowcaster and that is why it is clean. He passed away a few years ago, I bought this from his grandson. I can get numbers off of the chassis maybe that would tell the year?

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 03:03 PM

Yea man, looks great!
  • Husky said thank you

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 03:06 PM

Thank you for the info DR Bolens. I can see the original versamatic decal under the paint. It was very well cared for and in overall great mechanical shape. He had the original owner manual as well as original snowcaster advertisement. On that advertisement in pen is 'list 355.00' and below that 'y p. 305.00' I have a feeling that he used it with a snowcaster and that is why it is clean. He passed away a few years ago, I bought this from his grandson. I can get numbers off of the chassis maybe that would tell the year?

The model just gives the approximate year of 54' to 57'on a lot of this older equipment the only real way to ID it is the paint and or engine year.

• Husky said thank you

#8 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 402 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 03:43 PM

As all before have said  it is truly a great find. I am sure that it is very rare to find one in that good of a condition.

• Husky said thank you

#9 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Nice Versa, that's a nice pick up. I'd love to find a '58 Super Versa to match my Ride-a-Matic.
  • Husky said thank you

#10 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 05:09 PM

Did you get any attachments for it? I love these little versa matics they are super handy an actual work rather well in a garden

#11 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:04 PM

I did not get any attachments. I have a feeling that they were sold at another time. I have a few more pictures that helps to show the original color that was below the top coat of paint. I can also get the engine year off of the engine tag that is a great idea. I do hope to find some attachments over the next few years. I'm in no hurry this is just a fun hobby of mine. I like the idea of the ride-a-matic attachment being able to interchange. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09816.JPG
  • DSC09817.JPG
  • DSC09818.JPG

#12 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Wow!! What a great catch. Have fun!

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Kind of hard to see in a dark photo, next time you have it in the sun snap a pic. Looks like the metallic but cant say for sure

Interesting serial plate, never seen a "Z" stamped in there before, maybe just a machine defect??? 

#14 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 06:18 AM

Kind of hard to see in a dark photo, next time you have it in the sun snap a pic. Looks like the metallic but cant say for sure

Interesting serial plate, never seen a "Z" stamped in there before, maybe just a machine defect??? 

I'll take a pic in the sun. The old paint does not appear to have any metallic in it that I can see. It looks almost lime green. That is not a 'z' it is a '2' as in 15FC 02. Unless you are looking at something else on there? Thanks to everyone for all your help this style tractor is new to me. Any idea what those little 12 x 3 tires went to? 

#15 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:33 PM

I'll take a pic in the sun. The old paint does not appear to have any metallic in it that I can see. It looks almost lime green. That is not a 'z' it is a '2' as in 15FC 02. Unless you are looking at something else on there? Thanks to everyone for all your help this style tractor is new to me. Any idea what those little 12 x 3 tires went to? 

Those tires are not for a bolens and he means the Z in the center of the model and serial number.