#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:05 AM

You may haved noted that I got my 14 K engine in my Horse now and I said runs good. I'm thinking the gov is not working, it either revs too fast or won't slow once revved up, cept with cable movement. When I got t he engine and was cleaning it up, there was a screw about 1/2" or more out on the gov side. Had to remove arm to get screwdriver on it to put back in. Seemed to go in fine. I believe this is the screw you put in to hold the gov gear back in place when assembling the engine. SO, wondering if somehow the gear was slipped out of position, and now not held in by that screw, or if maybe it is just gone altogether?? Nothing sounds slapping around in engine,but haven't tried changing oil either for parts to fall out. I've head the plastic gov gears can break,but have never seen any that way yet.

Question here then is it gonna have to come apart? or is there a way to lay it over or use a wire or ??? to get gear back in place and re-hold with screw?  I tried the adjustment with loosening arm and turning the shaft either to right or to left, and it just locks the whole thing up one way, and seems norm the other, just not functioning. Looking like I better pull pan and see if I can see anything up there. Worst part is the total tear-down to put in new one when it really doesn't need OH!

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 07:41 AM

yup I have seen a couple of those plastic gears that were shot upon pulling one of these engines apart;  that's why the 12HP magnum I have apart now is getting a metal gear/  not likely to find those new any more I got mine used from Feebay. Even then not cheap.

but then again even a replacement plastic gear (should be able to find these new still) isn't cheap any more