How Allis Came To Live With Me.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:08 AM

George always said he moved up north to get away from the city and keep his race horse at his own house. We met when he saw me doing some work in the front yard with the Massey 30 and he stopped to ask if I would work up the field that was his front yard to plant lawn at his new house.

I told him that I could do the job for him and asked if I could have the big old oak tree they had cut down for pay. Went a long time after doing the lawn work before he again stopped in to see if I could do some work for him. He had a pole barn built and the builder just leveled the area and did the job. One side was way in the air on the side of a hill so he needed back fill inside and out. I told him I could do that for him for a fee. I borrowed my dads Ford 2000 with a front loader to do the work but I also used the Massey30 with the Massey Harris model 27 plow to loosen dirt to scoop up.

A few week later he called and asked if I could back fill a trench he had dug for the water and electric. I had recently gotten a back blade for the 1952 Massey Mustang so I was able to do that for him.

After that he was calling me saying that he couldn’t get his lawn tractor to start or other huge problem even to doctoring his horses he was afraid to do his self. He was always saying he was going to get his own tractor and asking if I would look at them before he bought one. Then one Thursday he called and asked if I could go with him to look at some tractors at a consignment sale on Friday. I said I could so off we went.

There were two I told him I would buy if it were my money a Allis C with lots of snap coupler equipment like plow disk and back blade. There was also a D 17 just a bare tractor that started without smoking and ran smooth plus power steering.

Saturday evening he called me up and said he wanted me to go haul his tractor home when I was able too. Sunday morning I picked him up and off we went. I was surprise as he had bought the D 17. I had told Kare he would buy the Allis C.

Over the next ten years or so George would call and want me to fix this and that and always wanting to pay me. I kept telling him it was a simple fix so I didn’t want pay. If he felt he just had to pay someone to call a repair shop. Then the day came when George called and said that his health was so bad (hardly able to walk) that they were selling the place and moving into a Condo and if I wanted the D 17 and equipment to come get it.  I asked the price and he said to just get the stuff as he would have been in the poor house many years ago if he would have had to pay someone for all the work I had did free for him.

I got the tractor with a snap coupler field cultivator, rear bucket thingy a heavy duty back blade I had rigged to work on the D 17, set of 8 foot disk harrow, 8 foot spring tooth drag, front loader with a removable snow bucket I also mounted on the D 17 for him, two bottom plow plus tire chains.

George is happy in his condo and his health did improve. Since he had to sell his 3 horses He missed not having a horse so bought a Ford Mustang convertible he drives to the horse track to watch the races.

:D    Al

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Nice that you could help him. Good Luck, Rick

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,246 Thanks
  • 29,700 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Great story behind the Allis...thanks for sharing!  Now just where are the Allis & attachment pics??  :smilewink:

#4 DennyIN OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Paying forward is a comfort, which George did in return. You both came out ahead, more ways than one! 

#5 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:24 AM

I posted the pictures of  Allis in the tread of her head. but will add them here too. The loader is a Kelly a not so much for heavy work but It did a great job building the bee garden. Removed all the read clay then scoped all the black dirt from the woods to back fill the hole.

Not so good of luck moving the rock. I got Allis out with the little 16HP Pacer and then moved the rock with it too.

:D    Al

• KennyP said thank you