#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:59 PM

I normally am off for a couple of months each winter.

#17 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:31 AM

One thing all brands have in common is the engines, only a very few ever made their own engines.  So Ariens and for that matter Sperry rand New Holland run the same K series Kohler's the Simplicity brand ran. Briggs  in Simplicity the same as was in the Sears branded tractors. I am sure if I were to dig into it that the same applys for the hydro's too.

:D   Al

• HDWildBill and michael.kitko have said thanks

#18 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I have a few different brands that I play on but I only have one Ariens which is a GT14, it is my favorite of all.  I just wish I could find another one :(

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:26 PM

One thing all brands have in common is the engines, only a very few ever made their own engines.  So Ariens and for that matter Sperry rand New Holland run the same K series Kohler's the Simplicity brand ran. Briggs  in Simplicity the same as was in the Sears branded tractors. I am sure if I were to dig into it that the same applys for the hydro's too.

I was thinking along the same lines.  There have been a lot of things I have learned about one brand and then applied it to another brand.  There are all kinds of Fix it, how to, and Restoration threads that you can learn from and then apply it to your specific tractor.  Plus you can learn a lot just from the different conversations on techniques or a new product etc.  Plenty going on here.

• michael.kitko said thank you

#20 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:08 PM

I am sure if I were to dig into it that the same applys for the hydro's too.

Ariens used Vickers on the early models, and the Sunstrand for the later models. 

#21 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 06:02 AM

I am really hoping to be posting more in this forum soon.

This is the only photo in the CL ad, I have no idea what model # it is or if it's still available.
.image.jpg

#22 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 06:20 AM

After closer inspection on a larger screen, that may be a GT17. Can anyone tell by that pic if that is a KT17 Kohler? If it is a Series One, I might pass on the deal even if it's close. Don't need that headache.

#23 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 08:13 AM

I am thinking that series one was used for a while. Just looking at the deck offset to the front wheel makes it look like a bigger deck. Like a 60". So the motor has seen a good workout already.

#24 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 01:54 PM

How much are they wanting for that thing?

#25 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted July 27, 2014 - 02:04 PM

$375, it has the 48" snowblower with it and a soft cab that is rotted. No key, sat for two years, left behind after the divorce, etc.

#26 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 10:04 AM

018.jpg The only Ariens I've seen in this area is this one and it's mine.

#27 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted July 28, 2014 - 01:37 PM

$375, it has the 48" snowblower with it and a soft cab that is rotted. No key, sat for two years, left behind after the divorce, etc.

If that thing runs I would say that is a good deal.

#28 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• Member No: 5140
  • 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Well i own 3 - S16H's i am going to make a front end loader for one that a friend wants to buy from me, For his hobby farm he  wants it to move the manure from his 2 horses. The other 2 i will NOT Sell as they are a damn good little tractors i have a hard cab on one with the snowblower ( i have 2 snow Blowers) & a Hard Top Soft Sided Cab on the other with the Front End Snow Plow on it. I have 3 mower decks 2- 42 inch Decks & a 48 inch Deck. I also have a Rotor Tiller, & a Rear 3 point hitch Blade that i use to Grade my driveway

• shorty said thank you

#29 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Well i own 3 - S16H's i am going to make a front end loader for one that a friend wants to buy from me, For his hobby farm he  wants it to move the manure from his 2 horses. The other 2 i will NOT Sell as they are a damn good little tractors i have a hard cab on one with the snowblower ( i have 2 snow Blowers) & a Hard Top Soft Sided Cab on the other with the Front End Snow Plow on it. I have 3 mower decks 2- 42 inch Decks & a 48 inch Deck. I also have a Rotor Tiller, & a Rear 3 point hitch Blade that i use to Grade my driveway

Welcome to the forum sideswiper!

They are great tractors. Sounds like you have a great selection of attachments too.

#30 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 06:40 PM

I want a front end loader for one SO bad it hurts!!!!

I have a small farm and that is one of the things that I really really need but don't have. :(