Good evening. I went out a "kicked the tires" on what I believe to be an MTD 990 today. I'm heading back early in the morning to potentially make a purchase. I don't know the year of the tractor and I was not able to get the SN off the tractor or engine. What I do know is as follows:
1) comes with a home made 3 pt. hitch (not shown in pic)
2) comes with a home made belly grader (not shown in pic)
3) seat is shot (removed in pic)
4) comes with no attachments other than belly grader
5) ignition switch does not work but it's starts right up when the solenoid is "jumped"
6) all hydraulics work as expected
7) dash is cracked some but not beyond repair
8) runs smoothly (forward/reverse)
What I'm hopeful you all can help me with are a few questions:
1) What's your closest guess as to the year and is it in fact a 990?
2) What are typical issues to look for with MTDs?
3) How difficult is it to acquire snowblowers for these rigs?
4) What's the overall condition of this tractor compared to other MTD 990s you've seen in your area?
I'm very familiar with a few other tractor brands but have never had an opportunity to consider an MTD so your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Edited by Moosetales, July 12, 2014 - 09:17 PM.