Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Mtd 990? Need Another Set Of Eyes, Please.

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:17 PM

Good evening. I went out a "kicked the tires" on what I believe to be an MTD 990 today. I'm heading back early in the morning to potentially make a purchase. I don't know the year of the tractor and I was not able to get the SN off the tractor or engine. What I do know is as follows:

1) comes with a home made 3 pt. hitch (not shown in pic)

2) comes with a home made belly grader (not shown in pic)

3) seat is shot (removed in pic)

4) comes with no attachments other than belly grader

5) ignition switch does not work but it's starts right up when the solenoid is "jumped"

6) all hydraulics work as expected

7) dash is cracked some but not beyond repair

8) runs smoothly (forward/reverse)

What I'm hopeful you all can help me with are a few questions:

1) What's your closest guess as to the year and is it in fact a 990?

2) What are typical issues to look for with MTDs?

3) How difficult is it to acquire snowblowers for these rigs?

4) What's the overall condition of this tractor compared to other MTD 990s you've seen in your area?

I'm very familiar with a few other tractor brands but have never had an opportunity to consider an MTD so your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

20140712_150138.jpg

20140712_150155.jpg

20140712_150205.jpg

20140712_150542.jpg

20140712_150212.jpg

20140712_150148.jpg

Matthew

Edited by Moosetales, July 12, 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,089 Thanks
  • 9,089 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:40 PM

It has the starter/gen bump out sheet metal. I think that puts it in the early years.
  • Moosetales said thank you

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,569 Thanks
  • 2,851 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Looks pretty complete from the pics. I have a 76 & it has the earlier version 3 bolt front wheels, later they went with sleeves like yours. There was a BIG problem with a hole cut into the frame to adjust brakes & this area failed with a crack. I've seen several versions in yellow, hard to tell but not important because the 990's had many different badges & colors. I recently got mine & have it torn down now to a bare frame. These are really good GT's made like a tank. I have seen snow blowers occasionally on ebay, like most things they pop up sooner or later. A lot of 990 folks on here will have much more info. Most dash areas are bad but repairable. I think you got a nice one, you will too when you see mine. :D

http://gardentractor...d-up-a-mtd-990/

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,809 Thanks
  • 6,602 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:46 PM

J.C.Penny versions were yellow like that. Don't lose that seat bracket that is on there, it raises new seat up so not to hit fenders.  Muffler surely not correct, would have to get that outa my face if Mine. Sometimes on the wiring, you can jump over the breaker that is on the hood support near dash. I've had many  of them that that was bad or wired around and things. OR, crusty connectors on the wire ends can corrode and not make contact. If it is outside most times, water can run into swith and dash areas on these and cause problems. Looks like pretty good shape, running?  Cheap?  I wouldn't pay too much for one this shape.

• Moosetales and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,569 Thanks
  • 2,851 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Looks pretty complete from the pics. I have a 76 & it has the earlier version 3 bolt front wheels, later they went with sleeves like yours. There was a BIG problem with a hole cut into the frame to adjust brakes & this area failed with a crack. I've seen several versions in yellow, hard to tell but not important because the 990's had many different badges & colors. I recently got mine & have it torn down now to a bare frame. These are really good GT's made like a tank. I have seen snow blowers occasionally on ebay, like most things they pop up sooner or later. A lot of 990 folks on here will have much more info. Most dash areas are bad but repairable. I think you got a nice one, you will too when you see mine. :D

After looking closer it looks like you have the three bolt front wheels that would be good.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,466 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:47 PM

If the yellow paint is original, it's a JCPennys branded 990. It should have a 16 HP Briggs on it and the 3pt may not be homemade, but look like it. They are good working GT's with the 2 sp differential.

#7 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Could also be a western auto Wizard too. mine is yellow.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Moosetales have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,987 Thanks
  • 28,942 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Good looker with a few oddities, be a nice addition to the herd.
Are those front tires right? They look small... Like 6" rim small.

There was a single stage blower for those (as per the guy who owned it) tucked back in a messy garage, the guy only wanted $75. I will see if its still around.
  • Moosetales and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Well, the seat looks pretty ... uncomfortable!! Seriously though, most of these tractors are in pretty bad shape when rescued. That one looks better then average for the ones I've seen. A lot depends on what things look like up close. I know that the mower decks sometimes show up for sale at a high price so if you want this for mowing and it doesn't come with one it may be pricey to find one. 

#10 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:11 AM

If the yellow paint is original, it's a JCPennys branded 990. It should have a 16 HP Briggs on it and the 3pt may not be homemade, but look like it. They are good working GT's with the 2 sp differential

If I remember correctly the 3 pt. hitch incorporates rebar which is why I thought it might be home made. I'll take a closer look today. Thanks. Matthew

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#11 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:12 AM

I saw the break "disc" under the seat...where is the hole located in the frame so I can take a look at that? Thanks. Matthew

#12 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Good looker with a few oddities, be a nice addition to the herd.
Are those front tires right? They look small... Like 6" rim small.

There was a single stage blower for those (as per the guy who owned it) tucked back in a messy garage, the guy only wanted $75. I will see if its still around.

As for the tires, the look small to me but I won't know till I'm back out for another look. I'd love to get my hands on a snowblower. Thanks for checking into the possibility of its existence. Matthew

#13 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:18 AM

Well, the seat looks pretty ... uncomfortable!! Seriously though, most of these tractors are in pretty bad shape when rescued. That one looks better then average for the ones I've seen. A lot depends on what things look like up close. I know that the mower decks sometimes show up for sale at a high price so if you want this for mowing and it doesn't come with one it may be pricey to find one. 

I've got a Simplicity 3108 that is my main work horse....I mean pony....for mowing so the MTD will be used primarily for blowing snow (when I can get my hands on a blower) and grading my long, dirt, lane to the house. The current owner says he used the belly grader to plow snow up to 8 inches or so but that wouldn't be my plan.

Matthew

• MH81 said thank you

#14 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:25 AM

J.C.Penny versions were yellow like that. Don't lose that seat bracket that is on there, it raises new seat up so not to hit fenders.  Muffler surely not correct, would have to get that outa my face if Mine. Sometimes on the wiring, you can jump over the breaker that is on the hood support near dash. I've had many  of them that that was bad or wired around and things. OR, crusty connectors on the wire ends can corrode and not make contact. If it is outside most times, water can run into swith and dash areas on these and cause problems. Looks like pretty good shape, running?  Cheap?  I wouldn't pay too much for one this shape.

Thanks. The muffler will need to be changed for sure (or at least rotated away from the driver). Yes, its running and seems to run quite smoothly. In your opinion....what's too much to pay for a rig such as this? Thanks.  Matthew

#15 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Here's the ad from CL that shows the grader blade and 3 pt. hitch.

http://maine.craigsl...4563890322.html