19 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:39 AM

I picked up four Chevy 16" eight bolt rims a yard sale a couple of years ago for $20 for the four.  I was going to weld them together for a mail box post but was told that here in Michigan the post can't be stronger than a 4 X 4 post or if someone hits it and gets hurt by it they can sue you.  Still laying out in the scrap pile.

I think the main thing is that it be a break away post. For years the DOT would mow off my mailbox on a 4x4 post very winter.
Like you I welded up some wheels to mount my mail box on. However i only used 2 ft re-rod stakes to anchor it.
When they would knock it over I would just pick it up and set it in the snow bank till spring.

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 05:48 PM

I picked up four Chevy 16" eight bolt rims a yard sale a couple of years ago for $20 for the four.  I was going to weld them together for a mail box post but was told that here in Michigan the post can't be stronger than a 4 X 4 post or if someone hits it and gets hurt by it they can sue you.  Still laying out in the scrap pile.

Now I wish I was somewhere near Michigan.  What kills me is that had good 8 bolt rims on a 3/4 ton I drove to the wrecker a few years ago.  It was a perfectly good truck but the police told me I couldn't drive it anymore.  The police apparently have a prejudice against building floors out of washing machine parts and spray foam insulation.

Ya ever get the feeling the world is conspiring against you?

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Now I wish I was somewhere near Michigan.  What kills me is that had good 8 bolt rims on a 3/4 ton I drove to the wrecker a few years ago.  It was a perfectly good truck but the police told me I couldn't drive it anymore.  The police apparently have a prejudice against building floors out of washing machine parts and spray foam insulation.

Ya ever get the feeling the world is conspiring against you?

When they tell me those kind of things, I start thinking Gestapo and move!

#19 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:28 PM

Well, Kenny, they don't make the laws, they just pull you over when you're leaving the dump and make your life a living hell.

I'm kind of out of places to move to though.  I guess I could go back to Saskatchewan, but then I'd have to pack up 3 decades of junk and find a new job and get used to dealing with my family again.  Likely easier just to stage a revolution....

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:31 PM

That's why I came to Oklahoma! Everyone lets me be!